PP3 - Windows Search 4.0 install error RRS feed

• Question

• When I install PP3, I get the following error from Windows Search 4.0 when the service tries to start.

Here is the error:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Windows Search Service
    Event Category: Search service
    Event ID: 1006
    Date: 11/25/2009
    Time: 3:17:07 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: WHS
    Description:
    The Windows Search Service has failed to create the SystemIndex search index. Internal error <4, 0x80040d8b, Failed to add project: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects>.

I did try removing Search and PP3 and installed it again, but I have the same issue. I alos tried to remove just Window Search and I downloaded it from Microsoft and tried to install it manually. It won't install at all.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:33 PM

All replies

• How full is the C: drive? On production servers I have seen the search index growing heavily and eating up the system drive.
    So it might make sense to delete that folder and after reinstalling Search relocate the target folder for the index to drive D:.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:58 PM
  • C drive 20gb (as expected) and 2.7gb is free. I'm going to move the page file but I don't think this will help. It won't even start so it is not even abole to start building the index informtion
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 11:18 PM
  • Guess I'll re-install.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 4:17 PM
  • Usually you will find a log file to be the reason (logon to the desktop, click Start/Run and enter %qlogs%). Show details and check the largest one. Delete it after checking what is the problem listed there.
    If you added unsupported stuff (like an SQL database) this might also eat up a lot of space.
    The free version of TreeSize would help you to find the storage eaters with relative ease.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 9:03 PM