Using Live OneCare Secure WiFi with a computer with a VPN RRS feed

• Question

• I've tried securing my internet connection before (non OneCare) with a password but could never get it to work with my dad's computer.  He uses it for work and must be able to access his work's VPN.  I want to secure my connection with OneCare but how do I get it to work wth his VPN?  If this isn't enough information, please let me know what you need.

Saturday, April 26, 2008 4:29 AM

Answers

• I'm not sure that the issue is related to Secure WiFi in OneCare, which simply helps you to secure your wireless connection from the PC to the router if that router is supported. OneCare actually only enables minimal security using WEP. Most modern routers and wireless adapters support WPA, which is much more secure.

It sounds like your problem is actually that the VPN software used by your Dad will not work with the OneCare firewall. Some VPN software will not work with OneCare as it manipulates the network stack in such a way as to interfere with OneCare or vice versa. If it is a compatible VPN application, you may be able to allow it to function by opening OneCare, clicking on Change Settings, Firewall tab, advanced and placing a check mark next to the VPN items in the list on the Ports and Protocols tab. If this does not work, contact support or support for the VPN application.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, April 28, 2008 3:17 PM