WHS Video Sharing to XBox360 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, has anyone successfully streamed video from WHS to an XBox360?

I am able to play music fine but the video blade never shows any content even though I have placed .wmv files on the WHS machine.

Monday, March 19, 2007 6:22 AM

Answers

• I seem to have found the answer.....I rebooted the WHS machine and all the videos appeared on the 360.

Then, as a test, I copied 3 more videos into the Home Server folder and again, none of the videos showed up until I rebooted the server.  Hmmm......bug?

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 6:30 PM

All replies

• I have set it up and had it work for me.  Do you have video sharing enabled on Windows Home Server?  You can do that by going into the two gears, clicking shared folders and enabling video.

From there you need to place your videos in the \\server\videos folder on your Windows Home Server. 

Monday, March 19, 2007 9:22 PM
  • Hi, yes I have enabled video sharing on the Server and I have copied several videos into the videos directory.  These are wmv files which should be compatible.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 7:15 PM
  • Are you sure the xbox is seeing your Windows Home Server and not another computer?
    Tuesday, March 20, 2007 7:57 PM
  • Yes, my desktop and the WHS machine both show up on the 360.  I can play music from the WHS machine, but not video.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 6:57 PM
  • I seem to have found the answer.....I rebooted the WHS machine and all the videos appeared on the 360.

Then, as a test, I copied 3 more videos into the Home Server folder and again, none of the videos showed up until I rebooted the server.  Hmmm......bug?

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 6:30 PM
  • Check Connect and see if there's one reported there already. If not, I would say you should submit a report, because it sounds like a bug to me.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 6:57 PM
  • Media connect doesn't instantly detect new files added to the folder. I would guess a forced reboot causes it to go through its file detection logic for videos.  Not sure why its this way, but it happens on other systems and isn't WHS specific.  Rather than reboot, you can try turning on/off media sharing and see if it reaquires the videos, that or just reset the service (quicker and easier than rebooting)
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 9:51 PM
  • I'm not sure what the service would be called??  Anyway, in my opinion you shouldn't have to reboot to force a "refresh" of the list of available videos or even wait some amount of time for the server to realize that it has a new video to share.  The video should be available to play as soon as the copy finishes.

I have logged a bug report if anyone else experiences the same issue.

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=270356

Thursday, April 12, 2007 12:11 AM
  • :-(  Microsoft closed this bug as not reproducible.  I can reproduce it just fine.  Everytime I copy a video to the WHS share I have to reboot the server before my 360 will see the video.

I've upgraded to the CTP release and still have the same issue.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 11:32 PM
  • Suspend: Do you have a Guest Account setup with no password ?
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 11:43 PM
  • Richard : The guest account is disabled.   But remember, I can playback videos on the 360 just fine.  It's NEW videos that don't show up on the 360 until I reboot the Windows Home Server.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 11:49 PM
  • On WHS setup the guest account with no password, enable it.
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 11:51 PM
  • Ok, enabled the guest account with no password.  No change.  New videos don't show up until server is rebooted.  

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 6:21 AM