Volume License Failure RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a volume license that works for a geographic region.  I live in that region, but I started recieving the GAV failure message recently.  Any help would be appreciated!

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Geographically blocked PID
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Cached / Grace status: N/A, N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-92Y7F-M7KDW-TPCRY
    Windows Product Key Hash: BWGplrgOgIPwwgn2MczRmTKlNVA=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-0134841-23062
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: {65AF8DFB-19B3-44DD-8349-B2E4E468B659}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: N/A, N/A, N/A
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 13
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.17.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{65AF8DFB-19B3-44DD-8349-B2E4E468B659}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0039.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-TPCRY</PKey><PID>55274-640-0134841-23062</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-73586283-1060284298-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>To Be Filled By O.E.M.</Manufacturer><Model>To Be Filled By O.E.M.</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>1024.001</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050804000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>D78F306F01848773</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>4AE985DCC4DE604</Val><Hash>zqUR0hE/l7up4A0GKsSAk7DM8xI=</Hash><Pid>54185-640-0867867-17134</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 12:17 AM

Answers

•  

Hello  Frobozky,

Thank you for providing us with your Diagnostic Results. Currently I see that you have a geographically blocked product key (PID). Curious did you purchase this computer brand new or second hand?  Do you work @ a company?  Please ask your systems administrator to logon to the eOpen site (https://eopen.microsoft.com/EN/default.asp) and confirm what your assigned VLK is for  Windows.  After reading the results I see you have a volume licensing key (VLK) of Windows XP Professional currently installed. This key is valid but has been blocked to a specified geographical region per the request of the legal VLK  holder. As a rule, VLK editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VLK editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please visit the retailer where you purchased the computer or operating system and let them know the operating system is a counterfeit copy.  Please print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the VLK status. Request they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy.

Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is here to help protect YOU, our valued customer. It is important for more people like you to report piracy @ http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/default.mspx  who have become victims. Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided.  Submitting piracy reports will assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices.  You may be eligible for free software if you have high quality counterfeit discs as illustrated here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=counterfeit

Again, we are sorry to hear about your situation. Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk because a clean installation/reimaging will destroy all personal user data on the hard drive. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance. 

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 1:12 AM
  • Frobozky,

Please talk with your helpdesk and/or systems administrator and explain what you have experienced. Also you may take a screen shot and/or provide them with the link from this forum so they may read the diagnostic tool results which you provided us. Also you can take the last 15 digits of product key and paste into your favorite search engine and review how many hits come up for that product key. Thank you very much.

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 6:59 PM
  •  

Please ignore my rants. I am not switching to Linux. I am just frustrated that people who obtained the product illegally have this much power over those who have obtained it legally. As for me, I will probably just buy Vista and forget about XP. The system of license verification of Vista is a lot more sophisticated and less likely to have this problem.
    Monday, October 15, 2007 11:24 AM

All replies

•  

Hello  Frobozky,

Thank you for providing us with your Diagnostic Results. Currently I see that you have a geographically blocked product key (PID). Curious did you purchase this computer brand new or second hand?  Do you work @ a company?  Please ask your systems administrator to logon to the eOpen site (https://eopen.microsoft.com/EN/default.asp) and confirm what your assigned VLK is for  Windows.  After reading the results I see you have a volume licensing key (VLK) of Windows XP Professional currently installed. This key is valid but has been blocked to a specified geographical region per the request of the legal VLK  holder. As a rule, VLK editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VLK editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please visit the retailer where you purchased the computer or operating system and let them know the operating system is a counterfeit copy.  Please print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the VLK status. Request they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy.

Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is here to help protect YOU, our valued customer. It is important for more people like you to report piracy @ http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/default.mspx  who have become victims. Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided.  Submitting piracy reports will assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices.  You may be eligible for free software if you have high quality counterfeit discs as illustrated here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=counterfeit

Again, we are sorry to hear about your situation. Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk because a clean installation/reimaging will destroy all personal user data on the hard drive. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance. 

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 1:12 AM
  • Hello Stephen,

I am a adjunct professor at a university which provides the software (educational institution).  I am in contact with their computer help department.  They say the VLK is valid for me and should work.  I thought I would also pursue the advice of this forum in an effort to troubleshoot from both ends.  They have a workaround for professors working out of state, but I am in state and everything should be fine.  I contacted my ISP (verizon.net) to see if somehow they are reporting to Microsoft WGA via some server that makes my computer appear out of state, but they said to contact Microsoft.  I will send a copy of your post to the university computer department.

Best, Frobozky

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 1:57 AM
  • Hello Frobozky,

What university and state are you located in?  Thank you very much.

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 9:30 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

I teach for Indiana University and I am in Indiana.

MIke

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 10:32 PM
  • Frobozky,

Please talk with your helpdesk and/or systems administrator and explain what you have experienced. Also you may take a screen shot and/or provide them with the link from this forum so they may read the diagnostic tool results which you provided us. Also you can take the last 15 digits of product key and paste into your favorite search engine and review how many hits come up for that product key. Thank you very much.

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 6:59 PM
  • Stephen,

Have you found out anything? I am in the same boat having purchased the disk from IUPUI.

-Jeff White

Sunday, October 14, 2007 2:58 AM
  • As a former IUPUI student (this is Indiana University Purdue University  at Indianapolis) I am having the same issue. I see that the following URLs contain the Indiana University Key:

http://forum.0day.kiev.ua/lofiversion/index.php?t20153.html

http://www.astatalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=86870

http://bethuy.info/showthread.php?t=1681

http://www.sarnfun.net/show.php?Category=9&No=23898

http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3806633/Windows_XP_Professional_Retail_Link

Sunday, October 14, 2007 3:35 AM
  • Very interesting! I too have the same problem and stumbled on this thread trying to locate some MS contact information. I obtained my copy from IU Northwest. It has worked fine for at least a couple years. Not sure why such a problem would pop up out of the blue.

The CD states "Distributed through University Information Technology Services". I'm not sure if that helps at all...

I hope someone will post some contact information to help me get this resolved.

Thanks,

-Steve

Sunday, October 14, 2007 10:46 PM
  • WOW! In clicking through those links posted above it is pretty clear that there is definitely a problem. I have my original CD. Do I need to have it replaced?

Thanks,

-Steve

Sunday, October 14, 2007 10:54 PM
  • If your Product Key is published on various web sites, rest assured it is no longer a valid key.  The original owner has reported the product key as stolen, thus it is no longer genuine.

Sunday, October 14, 2007 10:57 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

I contacted ithelp@iu.edu and was helped.  Your current situation must still fulfill the original licensing agreement.

Frobozky

Sunday, October 14, 2007 11:24 PM
  • << Your current situation must still fulfill the original licensing agreement.>>

I am no longer a student at IU. Does that mean I no longer qualify?

-Steve

Sunday, October 14, 2007 11:33 PM
  •  sneel wrote:

<< Your current situation must still fulfill the original licensing agreement.>>

I am no longer a student at IU. Does that mean I no longer qualify?

-Steve

Correct.

Monday, October 15, 2007 12:43 AM
  • I don't understand that. I qualified at the time of purchase.

I didn't realize that Microsoft had a policy for Windows licenses that would time-bomb.

Monday, October 15, 2007 2:22 AM
  • Please constant the person that originally issued the Windows license for the conditions and terms of the license agreement.

Monday, October 15, 2007 2:25 AM
  • I agree. It is really stupid. The people who hack the keys almost seem to be the smarter ones. We who get the license legally paying money for it are screwed and the hackers go on their merry way.

As for me, I think it is time to replace Windows with Linux. With Wine you can even run a lot of Windows apps on it.

Monday, October 15, 2007 2:29 AM
  •  

Please ignore my rants. I am not switching to Linux. I am just frustrated that people who obtained the product illegally have this much power over those who have obtained it legally. As for me, I will probably just buy Vista and forget about XP. The system of license verification of Vista is a lot more sophisticated and less likely to have this problem.
    Monday, October 15, 2007 11:24 AM
  • Jeff, I just recently purchased a new laptop with Vista, which is why I'm having the problems with this XP license.  Vista was so slow and painful (and the security pop-ups are infuriating), so I'm going to back to XP.  As an IPFW student (we've about covered all the campuses in this thread, haven't we?), I can continue to still legally use my XP CD as long as I'm a student.  I bought the media several years ago (before SP2 even came out), but I don't recall ever reading anything that said the license expired as long as I continued to be a student and IU kept up their Microsoft licensing agreement.

As previously suggested, I've e-mailed ithelp@iu.edu for help.  We'll see what they say.

Jeremy

Thursday, October 18, 2007 1:38 AM