CRM Security Roles RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a client who is trying who is trying to create a specific role that would allow a department within their organization to create users and assign roles to the users.  All other functionality would need to be turned off. 

We created a new role and set the priviledges for User Organizational - Create, Read, Write, Append, Append To, Reparent, and Enable/Disable.  For Assign Role - Organizational.  For Role - None Selected for Create, Write, Delete and Organizational for Read.

When we tested we were only able to assign new and existing users this role (unable to assign other roles to the new user).  We modified the the different priviledges and this still did not solve the issue. 

We cloned the System Admin role and modified the role to turn off functionality that we did not want the role to have access to.  We ran into the same issue as before, so I am assuming that any modifications to the cloned System Admin role removes the System priviledges.  So it appears that outside of the System roles, a user can only assign a role to a new user that they have been assigned.

Any thoughts on how we could set this up?  At this point we are going to assign this particular Admin to the roles that they will be assigning to users.  Not exactly what we would like to do, but at this point our best option.  Also, any way that we could modify the system setting?   If so, how do we get access to it? 

Thanks!!!
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 3:46 PM

Answers

• This is a result of a "bug" fix that was introduced to address some other realted security concerns.  One solution would be to make that admin user a member of the other roles.

Matt, MVP - Dynamics CRM
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 5:38 PM

All replies

• This is a result of a "bug" fix that was introduced to address some other realted security concerns.  One solution would be to make that admin user a member of the other roles.

Matt, MVP - Dynamics CRM
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 5:38 PM
  • Thanks Matt.  I believe we are going to have to go down that route.  Would you mind passing along with "bug" fix information.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 5:40 PM