HP Mediasmart with Diskeeper2008 WHS RRS feed

• Question

•  

I was trying to use this and could not get it to install at all.. anyone try it? If they were successful can you detail the steps to get it installed

Thanks a bunch

Monday, December 17, 2007 6:04 PM

Answers

•  

You have to remote login using remote desktop  to the HP Mediasmart server, download and save the setup file on the

HP Mediasmart server, run the setup on the HP Mediasmart server while loged in by remote desktop.  

Monday, December 17, 2007 7:20 PM
  • There are two ways of controlling a MediaSmart server (or other Windows Home Server)... via the Home Server Console and Remote Desktop which gives you access to a complete desktop (complete with start button and desktop) on the server.

In order to connect to your Home Server using Remote Desktop... On your client machine:

1. Select Start -> Run and type mstsc.exe and hit enter (or if running Vista, simply click the Start button and type mstsc.exe and hit enter)
    2. Specify your servername
    3. Click Connect
    4. When prompted, log in as Administrator and with the password you use to login to the Home Server Console

Now you need only have a copy of the Diskeeper files on your Home Server and to navigate to them and install them normally.

Monday, December 17, 2007 7:57 PM

All replies

• While I don't have a MediaSmart server... what kind of errors are your receiving when trying to install it? The install process on a MediaSmart should be no different than on a home built home server (like mine) which had no problem accepting Diskeeper.

Monday, December 17, 2007 6:11 PM
  •  

You have to remote login using remote desktop  to the HP Mediasmart server, download and save the setup file on the

HP Mediasmart server, run the setup on the HP Mediasmart server while loged in by remote desktop.  

Monday, December 17, 2007 7:20 PM
  •  

kspctec,

Thanks for the info but I have a question... while I am not computer illiterate <-- did I spell that right? I have not logged in using "remote desktop" I have just used the software that was provided with the Mediasmart box. Can you provide the details on how one would "login using remote desktop"

Cheers and thanks in advance

Monday, December 17, 2007 7:40 PM
  • There are two ways of controlling a MediaSmart server (or other Windows Home Server)... via the Home Server Console and Remote Desktop which gives you access to a complete desktop (complete with start button and desktop) on the server.

In order to connect to your Home Server using Remote Desktop... On your client machine:

1. Select Start -> Run and type mstsc.exe and hit enter (or if running Vista, simply click the Start button and type mstsc.exe and hit enter)
    2. Specify your servername
    3. Click Connect
    4. When prompted, log in as Administrator and with the password you use to login to the Home Server Console

Now you need only have a copy of the Diskeeper files on your Home Server and to navigate to them and install them normally.

Monday, December 17, 2007 7:57 PM