Could onecare be straw that broke camel's back? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Does anyone else find the maze that is Microsoft frustrating?  I now know why people chose to use Macs instead of PC's.  I have spent many hours over the last month trying to renew my Live onecare subscription (yes - give my money to microsoft).  I couldn't get any technical support - I had to log in because microsoft decided that I need another email address and password to keep track of and since I didn't know my live password - guess what - I am not allowed to purchase the product.  It's an interesting business model - I have been doing it all wrong all these years - when someone says to me : I want to buy one of your products, I too ask for a number - a credit card number.  Can you imagine all of the money that slips through the fingers of Microsoft in the course of a year?  I can't imagine there are a lot of people who would try for a month to purchase a product.  I finally found my live password and I was so happy - finally I can buy live onecare (renew).  Well guess what, they let me pay for it on a credit card, but I still don't have it...my live onecare says urgent status: at risk. So now I have to wait for my credit card bill to come in and then spend another month trying to get my money back which I will probably never be able to do, as I am busy and don't have time.  I think I will go shopping for a Mac this weekend.

Sincerely,

Frustrated and ready to go postal.
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 9:31 PM

All replies

• I'm sorry for the frustration you've encountered with this. It *is* maddening. The following may help.

Renewal takes effect on the date that your current subscription expires and that it can take up to 24 hours for the subscription status to be updated in OneCare if you are renewing within 30 days of expiration and 5 days if renewal was performed between 90 and 30 days before expiration.

You can try the following:

• Check your PC date and time.
    • Check your subscription status by logging in with your subscription LiveID at http://billing.microsoft.com
    • Confirm that this is the same LiveID shown to be the Subscription ID in OneCare - Help/About…
    • Open OneCare and click "Check for Updates" to have OneCare check for updated credentials

If your subscription is correctly shown at the Billing site, but incorrect in OneCare and your PC date and time are correct, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

Unofficial path - send me an email at sboots@mvps.org with a subject line including "OneCare" (to get past my spam filtering) and in the message body, tell me what country you are in, your forum nickname, and paste this link:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/084786fd-9c3a-43d9-94b6-7ad526a70059

I am not online 24x7, so you may be waiting for a reply, but I'll do my best to hook you up with support.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 4:35 PM