Installing Windows Home Server on Larger Network RRS feed

• Question

• A friend of mine is a professor in a university and he is looking for a network\back-up solution for his 8-computer lab. The internet is provided by the university and they have ports all over the room. I called their tech support and they informed me that their server simply provides IP addresses to all the computers in the building with a DHCP server. A did a quick browsing of the network and they don't have any domain setup, just a bunch of workgroups. 

Can I install WHS in this environment? 
    Would the server see all the machines and let me install on the 8 ones I need to setup? 
    Would their Windows Server doing the DHCP support UPnP?
    What kind of questions do I need to ask their tech office to get WHS working?

Thanks for your help, 

Vincent
    Friday, January 22, 2010 11:50 PM

All replies

• A friend of mine is a professor in a university and he is looking for a network\back-up solution for his 8-computer lab. The internet is provided by the university and they have ports all over the room. I called their tech support and they informed me that their server simply provides IP addresses to all the computers in the building with a DHCP server. A did a quick browsing of the network and they don't have any domain setup, just a bunch of workgroups. 

Can I install WHS in this environment? 

Yes.

Would the server see all the machines and let me install on the 8 ones I need to setup? 

It should (as long as all of the clients are in the same subnet as the server).

Would their Windows Server doing the DHCP support UPnP?

I'm not sure what you mean by that question (I can't think of any reason you would need uPnP other than Remote Access, and that should be set up in the router anyway).

What kind of questions do I need to ask their tech office to get WHS working?

Instead of just guessing what you might or might not need to ask, you should direct them to the WHS support site for starting info (and here for additional questions if necessary).

Thanks for your help, 

Vincent

Saturday, January 23, 2010 12:36 AM
  • Hi Vincent,
    from own experience I can tell you, that all but Remote access will work (assuming you have Administrator permissions on the client PCs). Remote access won't usually work in such environments due to the incapability to control the router by yourself.
    Also backups to external media may be necessary and thought well (also depending from the data security requirements in that lab), since some incidents (theft, fire, etc.) may also affect the computer and the server, especially if located in the same room.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 9:40 AM
  • Thanks everyone, I'll keep you posted on my successes... or failure!

V
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 4:45 PM