error 0029-80070643 RRS feed

• Question

•  

the latest update of windows live has created havoc on my vista based laptop, After the update stopped and would not resume i tried to update again with no luck. Uninstalled and have been trying to reinstall for 2 days now and just get the error 0029-80070643. I have followed all directions several times from the Microsoft site to cure this and no luck... I have even tried to disable windows defender and have still had no luck.
    Sunday, February 3, 2008 8:16 PM

Answers

• Microsoft Support Incident: SRX1058279270

Microsoft Incident: SRX1057689765

I have since figured out teh problem and fixed it and got everything to install properly... with no help from MS

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 11:08 PM

All replies

• Please contact support for help with this - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, February 4, 2008 2:45 AM
  • ya contacting support is great!!!! when they respond back to you... Sent in 2 requests and im still waiting for a responce 2 weeks later... If they cant figure out the problem at least say so! then i can toss this piece of *** in the garbage and get something new.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 6:22 PM
  •  

Try this steps and see if it helps:

1. Click Start, type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the "Start Search"
    text box and then press ENTER.
    2. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide all Microsoft services" box and click
    "Disable all" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the Startup tab and take note of the items that are checked and the items
    that are unchecked, as we will want to return your computer to this configuration
    when we are finished. Once you have noted the checked items, click "Disable all".
    5. Click OK to restart the computer
    6.  Download and install the OneCare cleanup utility. To access the utility, visit the following Web site:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/c/b/4cb845e7-1076-437b-852a-7842a8ab13c8/OneCareCleanUp.exe 
    7.  Run the OneCare cleanup utility.  (Right Click on the Cleanup Utility, the left click on Run as Administrator)
    8.  Restart the computer, and then try the installation again. 

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 6:37 PM
  •  b-deacon wrote:

ya contacting support is great!!!! when they respond back to you... Sent in 2 requests and im still waiting for a responce 2 weeks later... If they cant figure out the problem at least say so! then i can toss this piece of *** in the garbage and get something new.

Do you have a case number or case numbers for the non-response support submissions? If so, can you post them here so the cases can be investigated?

Have you checked to make sure that messages from support have not ended up in your Junk Mail or Spam folders?

-steve

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 7:43 PM
  • Microsoft Support Incident: SRX1058279270

Microsoft Incident: SRX1057689765

I have since figured out teh problem and fixed it and got everything to install properly... with no help from MS

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 11:08 PM
  • Thanks for the case numbers. And I'm glad to read that you got the problem fixed, but sorry that you didn't hear from support.

What was the cause of the problem in your case and what was the solution?

-steve

Thursday, February 14, 2008 1:57 AM
  • well it looks like it may have been my own stupidity.... the main account on my vista machine is the admin account but i guess when i was loging in to it it still was not seeing me as the admin. i had to run the cleanup utility and the cmd window as admin by right clicking on it and selecting running as admin..

Thursday, February 14, 2008 2:17 AM
  • No, that would *not* be stupidity - that's Vista. Administrative rights in Vista don't mean the same that they did in XP and earlier. You sometimes need to provide elevated rights to a program or it will fail outright. Many of the tools we provide links to here to fix OneCare issues require these elevated rights - hence the right click, Run as Administrator.

-steve

Thursday, February 14, 2008 2:30 AM