Swapping DE disk with data on it. RRS feed

• Question

• I have some small disks in my system (250 GB) some data are duplicated, and some are not.

Is it possible to mount a new 2TB disk and move the data from the smaller disks to the new one?

I only have room for one more disk in my system.

If I install a new 2TB disk and make it availible to DE and than tell Vail to not use the 250GB disk,

will the data be moved automaticly to my new 2TB disk or do i have to do a backup of the whole system, Insert new disks and than do a restore?

Or can I duplicate all shares and then remove the small disk?

Friday, November 5, 2010 10:56 AM

Answers

• If I install a new 2TB disk and make it availible to DE and than tell Vail to not use the 250GB disk, will the data be moved automaticly to my new 2TB disk ...
    Yes.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by gorginali Friday, November 5, 2010 1:21 PM
    Friday, November 5, 2010 12:47 PM

All replies

• If you add a new drive to your storage pool and remove others from the same pool the data will be automatically migrated to the new drive by DE, as long as the new drive has enough space and if you are using duplication you will have to do the maths to calulate if the remaining drives are sufficient to contain two of everything. I can conform this worked faultlessly when i recently upgraded my vail home server from 4 1.5TB to 4 2TB drives.

Friday, November 5, 2010 11:47 AM
  • If I install a new 2TB disk and make it availible to DE and than tell Vail to not use the 250GB disk, will the data be moved automaticly to my new 2TB disk ...
    Yes.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by gorginali Friday, November 5, 2010 1:21 PM
    Friday, November 5, 2010 12:47 PM