Restored Laptop won't boot - restore says finished successfully RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I'm trying to restore my Dell D830 laptop to a larger HD.  I've successfully done it in the past, but now it won't work.  I had the MB replaced in the Dell and this is the first time I've tried to restore to a new HD.  I have PP2 on my WHS and I'm using the original restore disk.  It will restore the HD and give the restore successful message, but when I boot on the new HD, I get the following error:  LogonUI.exe - Bad Image    C:\Windows\System32\propsys.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.

My original hd only has a single partition.  I've tried formatting the larger HD before restoring and I've tried installing Vista (32bit) on it using the recovery disk before restoring, but I get the same message.  I thought that maybe the backup was bad on the server, so I deleted all the backups for the laptop (cleaned up server to delete them), then I forced a backup to run for the laptop.  It didn't change anything - same "successful restore" followed by the error I mentioned above.

Has anyone seen this or have an idea what to do?  My original HD is very low on space and I'd like to put a larger one in the laptop.

Thank you,
    John
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 2:36 PM

Answers

• I finally had a chance to go through those steps, but still no joy.  It starts booting into Vista just fine,  but after going along a bit, I start getting the error above.  Any ideas what else to try?

Thanks,
    John

If you tried the new restore CD as Lara suggested, you should follow her instructions and file a bug report on Connect.
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 4:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    I'm trying to restore my Dell D830 laptop to a larger HD.  I've successfully done it in the past, but now it won't work.  I had the MB replaced in the Dell and this is the first time I've tried to restore to a new HD.  I have PP2 on my WHS and I'm using the original restore disk.  It will restore the HD and give the restore successful message, but when I boot on the new HD, I get the following error:  LogonUI.exe - Bad Image    C:\Windows\System32\propsys.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.

My original hd only has a single partition.  I've tried formatting the larger HD before restoring and I've tried installing Vista (32bit) on it using the recovery disk before restoring, but I get the same message.  I thought that maybe the backup was bad on the server, so I deleted all the backups for the laptop (cleaned up server to delete them), then I forced a backup to run for the laptop.  It didn't change anything - same "successful restore" followed by the error I mentioned above.

Has anyone seen this or have an idea what to do?  My original HD is very low on space and I'd like to put a larger one in the laptop.

Thank you,
    John

Hi,

Please make sure the Vista OS has SP1 installed on the new HD that you tried to take a test backup from and then use the new restore CD found here. If you can restore with SP1 and the new CD, please update the old image.

If you cannot, please file a bug on Connect, client and server CABs,  and bare metal restore logs (instructions below).

Bare Metal Restore Logs

To the root of a USB key add two files named:

"HomeServerPCRestore.log"

"HomeServerPCRestore_Update.log"

Restore looks for those files and will log to them when found.

Do a bare metal restore.

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 3:03 PM
  • Hi,
    I have seen this very same behavior on my Fujitsu tablet PC, but with other files. (Lara: A bug report should still exist on Connect, although closed as non repro.) Due to time considerations I never had the chance, to do a full analysis, what was really causing this, and my below solution was possible only, because I had no logon issues, but the desktop did load improperly and some apps went away with the invalid image message.
    Which security suite you have on your laptop?
    I had Windows Live One Care. Also some fingerprint reader software (Omnipass) and T-Mobile software, one of which I assumed as potential reasons. Uninstalled these and some other programs, did an inplace upgrade to fix the broken Vista components (which took several hours and two attempts) and performed another backup/restore, this time without error.
    (Using Acronis instead to mirror the disk transfered it to a larger drive also w/o problems.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 4:00 PM
  • Well, I used the latest Restore disk and did a bare metal restore.  It was definitely a newer version, since it asked about memory size of the laptop.  I had a USB key connected with the file names from above (used create new text document and named them HomeServerPCRestore.log and HomeServerPCRestore_Update.log).  It still gave me the error message after saying the restore was successful.  However, the 2 log files in the USB key are empty, so it didn't log any data.  Should I still file a bug report?

Thanks,

John
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 8:48 PM
  • I don't have any weird anti-virus software - AVG and Spybot.  I had them on a while ago when it did successfully restore.  I can't risk the original drive by doing any kind of repair.
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 8:52 PM
  • If you have original Vista install media with the laptop you can try booting into Vista repair mode from the DVD, then choose Startup Repair. This may able to fix your problem automatically. If not please read the remainder of this page.

Also the thread Failed total restore -- unable to reboot after getting "restore successfully completed" message may provide some useful information. 
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 10:02 AM
  • Hi brubber,
    the problem with that specific bug is, that random system files seem to be affected. See my bug report in original (it's marked private due to some NDA content in the Microsoft answers).
    On my system it were different (but on each attempt the same) files. Swapping the original files in here in safe mode after dealing with the system file protection (even if the originals have been in place) did do nothing good to fix it, also not uninstall/reinstall the SP, since those files never have been touched by any SP or upgrade.
    So Vista was not capable to detect some it's own system files as properly.
    Luckily my system was still bootable, so an inplace upgrade fixed the machine.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 10:44 AM
  • Thanks, I'll try those steps and see if it works.
    John
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 3:50 PM
  • I finally had a chance to go through those steps, but still no joy.  It starts booting into Vista just fine,  but after going along a bit, I start getting the error above.  Any ideas what else to try?

Thanks,
    John
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 1:24 AM

Thanks,
    John

If you tried the new restore CD as Lara suggested, you should follow her instructions and file a bug report on Connect.
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 4:11 PM
  • Ok, will do.

Thanks.
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 10:02 PM