How do I configure SMTP on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed WHS on a high-end PC (Quad-core 2.8GHz Intel proc, 4GB RAM, 2x1TB HDD SATA disks) and it is working great.  I do, however, want to install a task scheduling application on the server which will email task reminders to individuals to whom the tasks have been assigned.  I gather that the application uses SMTP to send the emails, but I know no more than that.

How would I set up SMTP on WHS for the scheduler application to send emails to any email address (apparently the application only needs SMTP to be set up and working for email sending to work).  I do not have my own mail server on my home network, but do have my own domain name, though it is inactive and "parked" at the moment. (I'm also happy to use my XXX.homeserver.com domain if that makes the setup easier.)

My technical knowledge and capabilities are limited, so detailed advice/pointers/instructions would be much appreciated. 

I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help!
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 4:32 AM

Answers

• As has already been mentioned, it's unsupported, and a technical violation of the EULA. I personally doubt that Microsoft is going to hunt you down for it, but if you hear an unexpected knock at your door some day, you were warned. :)

That said, it's also not recommended. Windows Home Server isn't designed to be a general purpose server, or to be used as "Windows Server 2003 Lite". So there are limitations that are effectively "built in", because they don't matter in the intended use cases, and they make something easier for the WHS team. In addition, SMTP is one of the most-abused and hacked services on the internet, so much so that many ISPs are moving to block all SMTP except through their own servers. (Mine does this, for example. I have a fairly complete hosting package with a presence provider, including email services, but all email from my home goes through my ISP's server.) You might want to see if you can use your ISP's mail server as the relay, instead of configuring SMTP on your server.

If you decide to proceed, you may be able to glean some information from TechNet; see e.g. this article and others on the subject.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by swales101 Tuesday, May 12, 2009 3:05 AM
    Monday, May 11, 2009 5:22 PM

All replies

• I have installed WHS on a high-end PC (Quad-core 2.8GHz Intel proc, 4GB RAM, 2x1TB HDD SATA disks) and it is working great.  I do, however, want to install a task scheduling application on the server which will email task reminders to individuals to whom the tasks have been assigned.  I gather that the application uses SMTP to send the emails, but I know no more than that.

How would I set up SMTP on WHS for the scheduler application to send emails to any email address (apparently the application only needs SMTP to be set up and working for email sending to work).  I do not have my own mail server on my home network, but do have my own domain name, though it is inactive and "parked" at the moment. (I'm also happy to use my XXX.homeserver.com domain if that makes the setup easier.)

My technical knowledge and capabilities are limited, so detailed advice/pointers/instructions would be much appreciated. 

I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help!

Setting up SMTP on WHS is unsupported (and a possible EULA violation).
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, May 10, 2009 4:47 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by swales101 Sunday, May 10, 2009 6:49 AM
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 4:47 AM
  • Many thanks for your note.

I am happy to bear the risk of running it unsupported.  I also cannot see any specific violation of the EULA, especially as it is not a commercial application but is being run to demo/test the software.
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 4:58 AM
  • The printed EULA states, that enabling Windows Server 2003 functions, which are not enabled with the default installation of Windows Home Server, is not permitted.
    This part is very clear in the German version of the EULA, and I assume also in the English one.
    Partially it is technically possible using the normal methods known from Server 2003 to do this, but this still doesn't change the above fact. In some cases enabling such functions may break your Windows Home Server functionality, in others the system will reboot each one or two hours.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 7:31 PM
  • As has already been mentioned, it's unsupported, and a technical violation of the EULA. I personally doubt that Microsoft is going to hunt you down for it, but if you hear an unexpected knock at your door some day, you were warned. :)

That said, it's also not recommended. Windows Home Server isn't designed to be a general purpose server, or to be used as "Windows Server 2003 Lite". So there are limitations that are effectively "built in", because they don't matter in the intended use cases, and they make something easier for the WHS team. In addition, SMTP is one of the most-abused and hacked services on the internet, so much so that many ISPs are moving to block all SMTP except through their own servers. (Mine does this, for example. I have a fairly complete hosting package with a presence provider, including email services, but all email from my home goes through my ISP's server.) You might want to see if you can use your ISP's mail server as the relay, instead of configuring SMTP on your server.

If you decide to proceed, you may be able to glean some information from TechNet; see e.g. this article and others on the subject.

• Marked as answer by swales101 Tuesday, May 12, 2009 3:05 AM
    Monday, May 11, 2009 5:22 PM
  • Ken

My thanks for your post and advice.  I actually don't want to use the server as a mail server at all, just enable SMTP so that the application that I'm evaluating will work fully.  Ideally I'd like to create a restore point, load the software, trial it and then return the server to the restore point, but I don't think WHS has that functionality.  I'll probably have to do a standard backup/restore of the server.

WHS is a great product for what it was intended to do and the support available through this forum is outstanding.

Best regards.
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 3:04 AM
  • Hi Ken,

So if I'm understanding you correctly, running this add-in:

http://www.wegotserved.com/2008/01/23/add-in-review-remote-notification/

if relying on an SMTP service running on my WHS, it would be a violation of the EULA?

From the above link:  "SMTP Server - enter the name of your email server.  You must have access to an outgoing email server to use this add-in"

Thanks.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 4:01 PM
  • Yes, that would be a violation of the EULA. "Email server" is one of the server roles which is not activated on Windows Home Server; doing so is a violation.

It's easier to use your ISP's mail server anyway, because you don't have to manage a locally configured mail server.

Friday, September 11, 2009 4:32 PM
  • Yes, that would be a violation of the EULA. "Email server" is one of the server roles which is not activated on Windows Home Server; doing so is a violation.

It's easier to use your ISP's mail server anyway, because you don't have to manage a locally configured mail server.

Thanks, for providing all info; and it is really easy to use smtp relay with the ISP providers/web-hosting providers. Using studio 2008 we can set up relaying smtp like this one (smtpClient.Host = "xxxx-yyyy-nnn.secureserver.net") ;
    I was bit curious, about some admin url like this "http://servaername:port/fpadmdll.dll? page=genset.htm&port=/LM/W3SVC/1:&frport=Default+Web+Site", Where I saw,an admin page, titled "FrontPage Server Extensions 2002 Change Configuration Settings ", this page provdied info and input boxes to set " SMTP mail server,From address:, Reply-to address:, and Mail encoding: use default encoding8bit7bitbinaryquoted-printablebase64ietf-tokenx-token " and so on. I am not proficinet in system admin, please throw some light, if possible. The above resulted from my domestic network where I installed Window Standard Server 2008, to test Visual-Studio-applications with MySQl and Oracle 10g. I won't mind to answer any question Microsoft may pose.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 1:55 AM