Problems with system standby RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am getting close now, My WHS is up and running my only problem is I want it to go to standby mode when not being used for a set amount of time, This works fine when no other computers are on that have been connected to the WHS.  But when I have a connected computer on and the WHS goes into standby it just reboots itself,  has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone have some suggestions.
    Friday, February 8, 2008 1:28 PM

Answers

• You need to remember that WHS is designed to be on all the time monitoring and taking care of any of your connected computers and also sharing any data. If its in standby it cant do that and it was designed to go into standby, it was designed to be always on.

If you dont want it on all the time my suggestion would just be to power it off and on when needed.

Andrew

Friday, February 8, 2008 2:57 PM

All replies

• You need to remember that WHS is designed to be on all the time monitoring and taking care of any of your connected computers and also sharing any data. If its in standby it cant do that and it was designed to go into standby, it was designed to be always on.

If you dont want it on all the time my suggestion would just be to power it off and on when needed.

Andrew

Friday, February 8, 2008 2:57 PM
  • Jerry, I agree with Andrew that you should ideally just leave it on all the time. If you really want to configure it to use power saving features, though, there are some things you can do.

First, configure the server to go into standby, then to "Wake On LAN." For WOL, you want it to wake on "magic packets" only; right now it's probably waking up every time the connector on any of your home PCs pings the server to see if it's available. Then once you've done that, you will need to install a tool on each of your client PCs to send an apporpriate magic packet to your server when someone wants to use it. There are many tools you can use; just Google "magic packet" for a huge assortment. Smile

This is not built into Windows Home Server itself, so you will have to do additional configuration if you want the server to wake for backups, for example. It won't happen when the backup tool on a client tries to initiate a backup, for example. You may find that the additional steps required to actually use your server aren't acceptable to you or your users.
    Friday, February 8, 2008 5:10 PM
  • OK, I am getting closer, I am able to get the WHS to wake on lan, but the WHS will only go into standby one time, if I reset the time for the WHS to go into standby it works, but once it wakes up it does not go into standby again.  Any suggestions.

Monday, February 11, 2008 2:16 PM
  • As the others have said, Having WHS sleep is not really a good idea.  There are a lot of maintenance things that happen when it is idle.

Maybe look at some of the add-on's here.
    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 10:13 PM
  • May I ask you how you got it to wake on lan ? thanks
    Friday, January 9, 2009 4:53 AM