changing boot disk (not quite dead) RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a simple way to change the boot disk of a failing (but not failed) system. It is a home build system and I wanted to make one of the other drives the boot drive. What I have attempted and failed so far is;

1) Take new boot drive out of use from WHS
    2) Remove the partition
    3) Create two partitions matching (or slightly larger) than the old boot
    4) Use DriveImage XML to copy C and D to new drive
    5) Turn off server and reboot on new drive.

Server boots but WHS is not a happy camper at ALL!!!!

would it be better to do the above and put the new drive into the same 'position' on the server. This is hard as I wanted to go from IDE to SATA, but if this is what it takes.

any ideas?

/krc
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 4:49 PM

All replies

• Is there a simple way to change the boot disk of a failing (but not failed) system. It is a home build system and I wanted to make one of the other drives the boot drive. What I have attempted and failed so far is;

1) Take new boot drive out of use from WHS
    2) Remove the partition
    3) Create two partitions matching (or slightly larger) than the old boot
    4) Use DriveImage XML to copy C and D to new drive
    5) Turn off server and reboot on new drive.

Server boots but WHS is not a happy camper at ALL!!!!

would it be better to do the above and put the new drive into the same 'position' on the server. This is hard as I wanted to go from IDE to SATA, but if this is what it takes.

any ideas?

/krc

You should replace your current (failing) primary drive with a new hard drive and perform a Server Reinstallation.  See the FAQ post:  How do I upgrade from the evaluation/trial to a full copy of WHS? for details on how to do that (even though the title of the post doesn't apply to you, the steps are still the same).

Changing your primary drive from IDE to SATA might complicate the process though.  WHS will try to install on the first drive it sees and by switching drive types, you might need to re-arrange which drive is plugged into which port on your mobo (making sure to plug your new SATA primary drive into "port 0" or some similar name).  Also, for ease of installation, you should set your SATA ports to IDE/Legacy mode so they will be seen as IDE drives.  Otherwise, since there are no SATA drivers in the WHS image, you would have to supply drivers for the SATA ports manually either once or twice.  The first time is during the initial GUI setup, the second time is after the first reboot, during the text portion of the install (which will require a floppy drive and pressing F6 at the appropriate time to install the drivers from the floppy), all of which can make the process even more difficult.
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 7:05 PM
  • Thank you, so there is no advantage of doing something pro-active. let the drive fail and rebuild with the built in ability to recover.

Any idea if there are caveats for a 13 drive 10TB system with over 8TB in use? I would expect the process of finding tombstones is going to take a while.

thank you again.

/krc
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 9:06 PM
  • Thank you, so there is no advantage of doing something pro-active. let the drive fail and rebuild with the built in ability to recover.

I didn't say that.  I would never wait for a drive to completely fail.  If you know it's failing, you should replace it ASAP.

Any idea if there are caveats for a 13 drive 10TB system with over 8TB in use?

The number and size of drives are irrelevent.  The process is the same.

I would expect the process of finding tombstones is going to take a while.

The total size of the data doesn't matter, it's the number of files.  If you have 1 super-huge 10 TB video file, it won't take long.  But if you have 1,000,000 video files of 10 MB each, that could take quite some time.  :)

thank you again.

/krc
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 9:47 PM