Include a "Backup CD" like the "Restore CD" RRS feed

• General discussion

• My son brought me his computer becuase the hard drive is failing. I cant install Connector because I cant write to the failing hd.

If I had an Emergency "Backup CD" I could boot the Backup CD and use that to backup the hard drive, thus recovering most of the data.

Can you create a LiveCD style "Backup CD"?

Friday, June 29, 2007 7:19 PM

All replies

• Just take his hard drive out of his computer and put it in your computer, then copy the data off his drive, to yours or use another product, like Ghost.

Friday, June 29, 2007 7:33 PM
  • A USB 2.0 drive enclosure is a handy thing to have around for cases like this as well.  Only have to power down and open up one of the computers that way.

Friday, June 29, 2007 7:37 PM
  •  Brian Mills wrote:

A USB 2.0 drive enclosure is a handy thing to have around for cases like this as well.  Only have to power down and open up one of the computers that way.

I agree, I have a Vantec USB2.0 external sata/ide adapter (no enclosure) that I use a lot.

Friday, June 29, 2007 7:44 PM
  • Slightly confused here!! - You state you cannot "write" to the HD - can you "read" the HD? - if you cannot, how is the backup CD going to do so?
    Saturday, June 30, 2007 12:59 AM
  • My thinking was to have a bootable "liveBackup" CD with the WHS client on it,  which is the opposite of the "liveRestore" WHS emergency Restore disk.

USE CASE

Boot from this new "liveBackup" WHS Emergency Backup CD  (should always boot and run since no HD access is requred)

Backup failing HD to the WHS (get whatever I can off the HD)

dispose of dead drive/computer in an ecologically sound manner. 

Access the backup set on WHS from any other home machine and recover the user data files.

Booting from a CD seems  more convenient than unmounting the drive and bolting it into a USB case (which is actually what I was doing when I came up with this suggestion!   )

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 4:20 PM
  • But your missing the step where you have to select the computer to 'back up' in the WHS Console. Therefore, if the computer/drive is failing, how are you going to include it in the WHS Console?

Far easier to do as suggested, and use a USB enclosure - only takes a few minutes.

Colin

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 4:58 PM
  • I like the concept, but if you have a failing drive, you want to grab whatever you can off of it as fast as possible. The WHS backup tool isn't likely to be anywhere near as fast (in terms of how long the drive needs to operate for) as just popping the drive into an external USB enclosure and sucking it dry (maybe after an appropriate period in the freezer, to cool the components for one last gasp of operation).
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 6:22 PM
  • I was really impressed how well the "LiveCD" works for bare metal restore. (Emergency Restore CD)

For the average home office staffer, booting a CD is much less stressful then finding screwdrivers and moving cables. SInce the "LiveCD" is already done for Restore, why not make one for Backup?

ColinWH wrote:

... Therefore, if the computer/drive is failing, how are you going to include it in the WHS Console?

Colin

The "Backup CD" would contain a fully operational OS Kernel and components to run completely with no hard drive.

Like the "RestoreCD" the "Backup CD" would boot up enough of a system to run the WHS Console and file system components needed for backup. The user would add the computer to the WHS and start an immediate backup. This should work in most cases. I the really bad cases, the user can still physically removing the failing drive and add it to another computer (using a USB case or direct mounting).

This is a suggestion for improving the WHS product, at little additional development, based on an actual event that occurred during my beta testing of WHS. Assuming it works, it would have been a big help and would be a pretty cool addition.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 11:50 PM