My PC won't backup files to a DVD-RW RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have been backing up my files to  DVD-RW s whenever Microsoft OneCare required and until recently had no problem. Then I ran out of disk space on the DVD-RW  I had been using.  The problem is that I cannot get my Microsoft Vista equipped pc to backup data to a DVD-RW.

I tried formatting the DVD-RW for data but the computer wouldn't let me do that.   It just had a barebones message that it could not complete the task. No further information at all.  I had turned off my screensaver and the power save option so neither of those could be the problem.  I tried erasing it first and then formatting it again.  Same result. It wouldn;t complete the process. 

I tried another DVD-RW in case the first was defective - same result.  I've tried two different brands of DVD-RW, but neither works so I don't think it's the DVDs.

I tried an unformatted DVD-RW straight from the plastic wrap and went directly to Microsoft OneCare backup.  It wouldn't backup, saying that there was already data on the disk.

How can I format my DVD-RW's to accept back up files and how can I back up my files.  I've been wrestling with this problem for a month.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 10:42 PM

Answers

• You're not alone in reporting problems with RW discs and OneCare backup. It is especially problematic when you try to erase a used disc and try to use it for backup in OneCare. I recommend one of 3 things -

1. You can contact support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

2. Try using a blank DVDR not RW

3. Look for a sale on a cheap external USB drive - a pretty large one can be had for under $100 these days. Using an external drive brings the problem of needing to cleanup the backups manually, but it makes backup much less painful all the rest of the time.

-steve

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 12:18 AM

All replies

• You're not alone in reporting problems with RW discs and OneCare backup. It is especially problematic when you try to erase a used disc and try to use it for backup in OneCare. I recommend one of 3 things -

1. You can contact support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

2. Try using a blank DVDR not RW

3. Look for a sale on a cheap external USB drive - a pretty large one can be had for under $100 these days. Using an external drive brings the problem of needing to cleanup the backups manually, but it makes backup much less painful all the rest of the time.

-steve

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 12:18 AM
  • I have been backing up my data onto CD-R disks and have had no trouble until this week. Windows Live OneCare leaves me this message, " Windows Live OneCare cannot find a disk burner". Dell thinks it is a Vista program problem. My disk drive works fine with iTunes and express Burn.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 9:21 PM
  • It may be a problem with the other burning software if it includes packet writing software or something that watches the burner for a disc to be inserted. You may want to contact OneCare support - 

-steve

Thursday, April 24, 2008 1:22 AM