Problems Getting Genuine RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello!

I work in an office with 8 workstations; we recently found out that an old 
    employee installed pirated copies of Office XP Professional with Frontpage on our workstations some time back; when we realized the problem, we bought new copies of Office Professional Edition 2003 to remedy the situation.

First I installed Office 2003 as the recommended "upgrade" install, but I 
    was still failing validation at the Validate Office website because my old 
    Office XP program was lurking in the background. Also, Outlook wouldn't come 
    up because it said I was trying to run two versions of Outlook side-by-side.

Next I tried completely uninstalling my Office XP and Office 2003 sets, then 
    reinstalling Office 2003 as a "full install." At this point, it seemed to 
    work fine until I tried to open an Excel file, and the "Configuring Office 
    XP" box came up and prompted me for my old product key. I cancelled, but 
    every Office file I tried to open prompted me to reinstall Office XP. Also, I 
    started having problems with Outlook trying to run two seperate versions 
    again.

Next I tried uninstalling all Office applications, running the version of 
    Office Clean that came with my Office 2003 disc, then reinstalling as a "full 
    install" but the results were identical.

I repeated the entire process logged in as the adminstrator.

I'm not sure what to try next! I don't want pirated software on our 
    workstations, but I can't seem to make it go away, and the desktop I'm trying 
    this all on is crippled Office-wise until I figure out a fix. Any ideas?
    Thursday, October 25, 2007 8:31 PM

Answers

• Hello Michael,

Sounds like you were left with a sticky situation Sad. Maybe I can provide you with information which will alleviate the problem you and the company are experiencing. First trying to upgrade a previously installed non-genuine Office installation will reek havoc as you have found out. Right now there appears to be some remenants left behind from when you attempted to uninstall Office. 

Attached below is a Knowledge Base (KB) article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301. This will allow you to download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and explain detailed information. Use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and uninstall all Microsoft Office programs 2003 and below (NOT 2007 OFFICE) on your computer, then reinstall Microsoft Office using the genuine MS Office installation CD and product key. After you have followed the KB article and successfully removed all Office installations then reinstalled the new office please restart your computers. Next please surf to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine. Locate "Validate Office" button  in the upper right hand corner. Click the button and follow the guidance. Restart the system and try to download an office template which requires the WGA and OGA validation. You should not have any problems.

If you are still having issues, can you do the following?

1) Logon to the PC that is experiencing the notifications as a user with “ADMINISTRATOR” privileges.

2) Download the tool: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 click RUN.

3) When the tool loads, click “CONTINUE”.

4) Is the “RESOLVE” button available? If so, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool repair the issue.

5) From the Windows tab, click the COPY button.

6) Please reply back to this post and PASTE the entire results into reply of this post. 

We can take a look at it and offer you some suggestions as to how to resolve this issue.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, October 25, 2007 11:25 PM
  • I got it.

The old IT guy had deployed Office XP on the server, which was sending Office XP "install-on-demand" shortcuts to our workstations every time we logged on to the network.

We've called in a professional to dismantle the installer. Thought I'd keep you guys posted in case this happens to anyone else.

Thanks again for all the help, and if I ever find out exactly WHERE that bum Office XP copy came from I'll let you know.

Monday, October 29, 2007 8:41 PM

All replies

• Hello Michael,

Sounds like you were left with a sticky situation Sad. Maybe I can provide you with information which will alleviate the problem you and the company are experiencing. First trying to upgrade a previously installed non-genuine Office installation will reek havoc as you have found out. Right now there appears to be some remenants left behind from when you attempted to uninstall Office. 

Attached below is a Knowledge Base (KB) article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301. This will allow you to download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and explain detailed information. Use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and uninstall all Microsoft Office programs 2003 and below (NOT 2007 OFFICE) on your computer, then reinstall Microsoft Office using the genuine MS Office installation CD and product key. After you have followed the KB article and successfully removed all Office installations then reinstalled the new office please restart your computers. Next please surf to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine. Locate "Validate Office" button  in the upper right hand corner. Click the button and follow the guidance. Restart the system and try to download an office template which requires the WGA and OGA validation. You should not have any problems.

If you are still having issues, can you do the following?

1) Logon to the PC that is experiencing the notifications as a user with “ADMINISTRATOR” privileges.

2) Download the tool: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 click RUN.

3) When the tool loads, click “CONTINUE”.

4) Is the “RESOLVE” button available? If so, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool repair the issue.

5) From the Windows tab, click the COPY button.

6) Please reply back to this post and PASTE the entire results into reply of this post. 

We can take a look at it and offer you some suggestions as to how to resolve this issue.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, October 25, 2007 11:25 PM
  • Thank you so much! I've posted to four other Technical sites, and spent $400.00 on an IT professional to come out already, and this is the first even hopeful option I've seen. I'll let you know how it goes!

Thursday, October 25, 2007 11:49 PM
  • Michael,

Curious do you have the software media the former employee installed? Also do you or maybe your management know where he procured the non-genuine software? Another option may be for you to file a piracy report. Please review the piracy reporting process:  http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/.   Here are a couple links which will provide you with valuable information: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ and http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/default.aspx?displaylang=en  and http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/hub.mspx.   Next I would like to share with you Software Asset  Management (SAM) program. This program can help you track and manage your software. If your interested please click the "Software Asset Managment" button located in the lower left corner. This may help you with you program. 

Please try the solution I provided in my previous post. Depending on the overall complications resulting from the non-genuine Office software you may need to think about reformatting all of the systems from ground up. Non-genuine software may have malware and other things lurking which may or may not cause you problems in the future. Right now the variable isn't known so keep aprised of any weird oddities which may present themself on the systems. It would be a great idea to have all your users back up all their important data such as pictures, email PST files (if that is used), all office documents, or whatever is deemed important. This would make it easier for you to capture either on a server, external hard drive or CD/DVD Burner. 

Take care... Keep me informed :-)

Stephen Holm, MS

Friday, October 26, 2007 12:33 AM
  • Okay.

So I read, downloaded, and installed the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and uninstalled all versions of Office (there was nothing for 2007, but I did see all the warnings!). Before installing the genuine 2003 product however, I noticed that the Excel files I keep on my desktop still had their old Office XP icons. I rebooted the computer to see if the changes stuck.

They didn't, and the bad XP Pro install was in my Control Panel Program List again.

So I logged out, logged back in as administrator, ran the WICU again on the Office XP install, THEN I ran Office Clean from the 2003 disc. Something that may possibly be worth a note is that after all that, my Frontpage icon still remained in the Start Menu (all the other office shortcuts there had reverted to generic icons, but Frontpage still had an Office XP icon).

I reinstalled my 2003 from there, and logged back in as the user and everything looked great (meaning that the Excel files on my desktop now had the nifty 2003 Icons, and everything brought up 2003 when I tried to open them). I was so happy I deleted the old Office XP shortcuts from my menu Smile And I rebooted again to see if the changes stuck.

They didn't. Office XP Pro with Frontpage was back in my Control Panel Program List. The icons on my desktop reverted to their Office XP counterparts. Trying to open any of them resulted in the "Preparing to Install Office XP Professional with Frontpage" menu to come up.

As the administrator, I downloaded the diagnostic tool you asked for. The "Resolve" button was unselectable. Here's my log:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0062.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-PMC4J-QG92X-DPQJD
    Windows Product Key Hash: K9gMLkPtEWHpEuyW4J3KIXDKk6A=
    Windows Product ID: 76488-641-1587932-23179
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {614DDD47-57A1-469C-8962-81ACCA19BACA}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.18.5
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista BRT Data-->
    Grace Flag: N/A
    Commit: N/A
    Reboot Flag: N/A
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Wgaer.exe Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Wgaer.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-531-645_025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{614DDD47-57A1-469C-8962-81ACCA19BACA}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0062.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-DPQJD</PKey><PID>76488-641-1587932-23179</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-436374069-1604221776-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>eMachines</Manufacturer><Model>Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>TCB432C</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20040806000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>D1253D570184A05F</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>1</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>27172646FF74D02</Val><Hash>fcbP6secrQT+/pCvR0VThtlb1J8=</Hash><Pid>73931-641-3210663-57684</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

To answer your other questions, I actually don't have the original media; this is actually what tipped us off to begin with. We added a workstation a couple of weeks ago, and I wanted to buy another license from wherever we bought the last ones from, but I couldn't find the original media. I checked through all our computer-related receipts for the last year, and couldn't find a receipt. I got suspicious, so I ran all our desktops through the Office Validation website, and they all failed. So we sucked it up, and bought all new copies. That brings us to my problem today...

Let me know what you think!

Mike

Friday, October 26, 2007 2:44 AM
  • Michael,

This is strange. Everything appears alright according to your diag report. Where did you purchase Office 2003? Is Office 2003 an Upgrade or Full install? Hopefully you purchased the full install. If you only purchased an upgrade and are still using the non-genuine media previously aquired from your predessor then this will explain the problem. 

Michael I would like for you (if possible and if you have time) to completely reformat ONE computer from ground up. Here are some steps for you to follow should you need assistance:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/default.mspx . Please take the time and look through this site as there is a wealth of great information.  Next please register your system. Then please perform all the Windows Updates for this system here:  http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us . Restart your system and check for updates again. Each update may build upon itself. Next install the full version of Office 2003 and perform the Office updates. 

Now please lets test this fresh box and see if all works well. If so then you will have to reimage all your systems. The system may have some malware which could be causing you the problems. 

Let us know what the outcome is

Stehpen Holm, MS

Friday, October 26, 2007 6:19 PM
  • I won't be able to reformat any systems without the help of our outsourced IT group, but I'll talk to them about it on Monday. The problem itself doesn't seem to have anything to do with my new Office 2003 install though, and everything to do with the old XP install; even if I just remove XP and then don't install ANY version of Office, Office XP comes back after a reboot.

If I had to guess (and I'm no IT pro here), I'd say that the guy who installed the bum copy of Office XP in the first place did something to the registry to force it to take, and now the original installation files won't really go away; they just come back with every reboot.

I'll talk to some pros again on Monday and keep you posted on what happens.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 10:33 PM
  • I got it.

The old IT guy had deployed Office XP on the server, which was sending Office XP "install-on-demand" shortcuts to our workstations every time we logged on to the network.

We've called in a professional to dismantle the installer. Thought I'd keep you guys posted in case this happens to anyone else.

Thanks again for all the help, and if I ever find out exactly WHERE that bum Office XP copy came from I'll let you know.

Monday, October 29, 2007 8:41 PM