CRM 4 Install - C++ Runtime failure RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to perform an unattended install. The install always says that VC++ runtime is not installed (even though it is) and tries to install it. Because the server does not have internet access, I have to put the vc redist package in a subdir of the crm setup. crm setup finds the vc redist package ok, but the install fails with the following error:

11:46:26|   Info| Installation of Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime failed. Exit code: 2147942402. Result: The system cannot find the file specified. 

I can manually install the VC++ runtime, so I know all files must be there (but crm install still insists on trying to do it again).

Does anyone know:

1. How do I stop crm install trying to update the VC++ runtime?

2. Why is the VC++ install failing

Thanks

Paul

Monday, January 7, 2008 11:58 AM

Answers

• To answer your questions:

1. You can't. Apparently MS cannot reliably determine whether the runtime is installed, so will always try and install it...

2. It looks like you've not put the runtime files in the directory that CRM setup is expecting. If you put them in the right directory it should work

See my blog (http://mscrmuk.blogspot.com/2007/12/crm-40-installation-with-no-internet.html) and Philip Richardson's (http://www.philiprichardson.org/blog/post/Installing-CRM-40-without-Internet-Access.aspx) for more information about where to put the files

Monday, January 7, 2008 2:54 PM
  • OK, I've fixed the problem. As usual, the problem was somewhere between chair and keyboard...

It turns out that CRM Install requires you to have the vcredist version 8.0.50727.762 which is the one with SP1 included. I was origonally using the earlier one without SP1.

What I think happens is the crm installer runs the vcredist_x86.exe, with the /C option to extract the inner exe. The inner exe gets extracted to a temp folder. crm install then looks for a file called VCREDI~3.EXE to complete the install. The earlier redist extarcts a file called VCREDI~1.EXE, hence why the installer was then saying it could not find the file.

Thanks for your help

Paul

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 10:43 AM

All replies

• Further to my previous post.... This error also happens in the GUI installer i.e. the standard way of installing.

So, it's impossible to install CRM 4 on a server that does not have internet access.

Monday, January 7, 2008 2:19 PM
  • To answer your questions:

1. You can't. Apparently MS cannot reliably determine whether the runtime is installed, so will always try and install it...

2. It looks like you've not put the runtime files in the directory that CRM setup is expecting. If you put them in the right directory it should work

See my blog (http://mscrmuk.blogspot.com/2007/12/crm-40-installation-with-no-internet.html) and Philip Richardson's (http://www.philiprichardson.org/blog/post/Installing-CRM-40-without-Internet-Access.aspx) for more information about where to put the files

Monday, January 7, 2008 2:54 PM
  • Thanks for the help, much appreciated. I now understand why it needs to install C++ runtime, but I'm still having trouble.

The log from the quiet mode install is:

Code Block
    15:28:24|   Info| === Setup bootstrap logging started 07/01/2008 15:28:24 ===
    15:28:24|   Info| Bootstrap version: 4.0.7333.3.
    15:28:24|   Info| User: 1047737.
    15:28:24|   Info| === Setup bootstrap logging ended 07/01/2008 15:28:24 ===
    15:28:27|   Info| === Setup bootstrap logging started 07/01/2008 15:28:27 ===
    15:28:27|   Info| Bootstrap version: 4.0.7333.3.
    15:28:27|   Info| User: 1047737.
    15:28:27|   Info| .NET version found is 3.0.4506.30
    15:28:27|   Info| IsDotNetInstalled=1
    15:28:27|   Info| IsDrWatsonInstalled=1
    15:28:27|   Info| MSXML found is 6.10.1129
    15:28:27|   Info| IsMsXmlInstalled=1
    15:28:27|   Info| Installer path for Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime set to C:\CRM4\VcRedist\vcredist_x86.exe
    15:28:27|   Info| IsReportViewerControlInstalled=1
    15:28:27|   Info| Sql Native Client version found is 9.0.3042
    15:28:27|   Info| IsSqlNativeClientInstalled=1
    15:28:27|   Info| Installing Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime
    15:28:27|   Info| Installation of Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime failed. Exit code: 2147942402. Result: The system cannot find the file specified. 
    15:28:27|  Error| Installation of one or more missing prerequisite components failed., Error, OK
    15:28:27|   Info| InputResult: No Input
    15:28:27|   Info| === Setup bootstrap logging ended 07/01/2008 15:28:27 ===

So, it is finding the redist package, but it is failing to install it properly.

I've looked at Philips blog, and put the crm server installation files (after extraction from the downloaded exe) in the correct place, but still get this same error.

Any ideas?

Monday, January 7, 2008 3:47 PM
  • Do you get the same problem with the GUI install ?

Just to check, have you the correct (32 or 64 bit) version of the redist package, and put it in the directory indicated in the log file ?

And one more thing to check. I think the runtime install puts some files in the temp directory (as per the environment variable), so I'd check there is a temp directory, and also check the redist.log file that should be put there

Monday, January 7, 2008 5:13 PM
  • Thanks for the advice again. Much appreciated. I will look into the temp dir suggestion. But in answer to your other questions....

Yes the same issue happens on the GUI install.

Yes it is the correct version of the redist (32 bit and i386). The redist install works fine if I run it manually from the command line.

I will keep looking into it, but if you have any other ideas please post them on here

Thanks,

Paul

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 9:43 AM
  • OK, I've fixed the problem. As usual, the problem was somewhere between chair and keyboard...

It turns out that CRM Install requires you to have the vcredist version 8.0.50727.762 which is the one with SP1 included. I was origonally using the earlier one without SP1.

What I think happens is the crm installer runs the vcredist_x86.exe, with the /C option to extract the inner exe. The inner exe gets extracted to a temp folder. crm install then looks for a file called VCREDI~3.EXE to complete the install. The earlier redist extarcts a file called VCREDI~1.EXE, hence why the installer was then saying it could not find the file.

Thanks for your help

Paul

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 10:43 AM
  • Hi Paul

Thanks for sharing the solution as i was facing the same situation for a while, and got it solved your way.
    Great work and hope for more such useful info from you. Thanks again.

Sid

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 7:09 AM
  • I have the same problem described above - however I cannot find the needed folder structure listed anywhere.

Can someone tell me what folder I need to create and put these files into it?

Friday, December 12, 2008 8:41 PM
  • Hello,

I have just installed CRM 4.0 in win server 2003 and facing the same problem. I have downloaded vcredist_x86.exe and extract it (VCREDI~3.EXE) and put it CRM setup folder. But problem is as it as. Can anyone suggest what should I do and which files and where I have to place?

Monday, January 19, 2009 5:31 PM
  •  

Yup, Need not to reply. I have done it.
    Monday, January 19, 2009 5:36 PM
  • Cheers paul, thank you for the solution
    Friday, September 18, 2009 12:04 PM