Mouseware configuration changed after each tuneup RRS feed

• Question

• I'm posting this in the tune-up thread because that's when it happens, and I'm not sure exactly which function of tune-up is causing it.

This is a strange one (you should expect nothing less from me): I'm using an old Logitech Trackman Marble as my pointing device, which runs on Logitech MouseWare 9.79.1, which is the latest version of the driver Logitech makes available for old devices no longer supported.  The trackball has three programable buttons, which are set to the user's preferences in the configuration software which is installed along with the driver.  Currently the device's third button is set to drag-lock.

I've noticed that after OneCare tune-up runs, this button has been reset to its default setting, which is alternative menu.  When I go into the software, it still indicats that the button should be set to drag-lock, but the button does not function that way.  In other words, the software still has the setting I selected, but the button functions otherwise.  To restore the desired fuction for this button, I can either restart my computer, or go into the software and change the setting to somethig else and reset it again to the desired fuction - both seem to do the trick.

I waited to post this because I wanted to varify that it happens each time tune-up runs, and it does.  Obviously, it's not that big a deal, but I thought it was interesting.  Why would tune-up have any effect on this?  Why, for that matter, doesn't it rain beer?  Why can't I get a date?

I don't expect answers to all of those.

So, how's that for something to chew on? 

Balt

Sunday, December 30, 2007 6:43 PM

Answers

•  Balt221 wrote:

We'll see if it recurrs after my next tune-up on Sunday morning.

Well, it just happened again, and there was no tuneup, so I guess it was a false alarm.  Sorry.

Balt
    Wednesday, January 2, 2008 5:21 PM

All replies

• I wonder if the configuration change is being saved in a temp file that is being deleted by OneCare disk cleanup. Try changing the Tune-up options to *not* perform disk cleanup and see if the problem goes away.

Hmmm...

I suspect that it doesn't rain beer as there is no brewery in the clouds, since rain is essentially water that has evaporated from the ground. If we had huge bodies of beer evaporating into the air, perhaps we'd see beer rain. As to the date thing, I can't help you there. Do you ask anyone out?

-steve

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 12:01 AM
  • Steve,

You may remember from another thread that I don't have disk cleanup enabled because it was trying to compress my OneCare backup files (which are already compressed), and it was taking too long.

I did, however, go into OneCare's startup programs manager, and made sure the program that loads the trackball's software was enabled.  So far, it seems to be working OK; so it may be that it was somehow disabled and prevented from starting.  We'll see if it recurrs after my next tune-up on Sunday morning.

I understand, from your response, that it won't rain beer if there are no large bodies of beer to evaporate.  Perhaps OneCare could consider this in a future update.  And I tried calling support several times, but no one there seems to be willing to go out with me.  OneCare definitely needs more accessable supports options, especially on the weekends. 

Balt

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 3:19 AM
  •  Balt221 wrote:

We'll see if it recurrs after my next tune-up on Sunday morning.

Well, it just happened again, and there was no tuneup, so I guess it was a false alarm.  Sorry.

Balt
    Wednesday, January 2, 2008 5:21 PM
  •  Balt221 wrote:

Balt

No need to apologize. It's an interesting issue.

I'll mark your post as the answer, then. :-)

I'll see what I can do about the raining beer thing, but that might be out of scope. And I think you may need to expand your own scope for the date issues and not limit yourself to asking out the support techs. <g>

-steve

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 7:13 PM