duplicating server information RRS feed

• Question

• I am going to buy a second server for my vacation home.  I need to duplicate all of my data from my WHS at my main residense to my second WHS at my Vacation home. Is there an easy way to do this?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Hd fan
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 3:12 PM

Answers

• No, there is no easy (i.e. automatic) way to mirror your server in a remote location. Probably the easiest manual option is simply to back up the server shares to an external drive (using the server share backup tool that was added with Power Pack 1) and restore that to the server in your vacation home.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 4:06 PM
  • If you want it to be automated, then probably robocopy will be your best bet. Microsoft also has a new tool, RichCopy, which you might want to take a look at. It's similar to robocopy, except that it's multi-threaded for better performance.
    Friday, May 8, 2009 3:43 PM

All replies

• No, there is no easy (i.e. automatic) way to mirror your server in a remote location. Probably the easiest manual option is simply to back up the server shares to an external drive (using the server share backup tool that was added with Power Pack 1) and restore that to the server in your vacation home.
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 4:06 PM
  • How about if the two servers were in the same location, would there then be an easy to mirror the home server to the vacation server?
    Hd fan
    Friday, May 8, 2009 1:55 PM
  • How about if the two servers were in the same location, would there then be an easy to mirror the home server to the vacation server?
    Hd fan

About the closest you can get would be to setup a copy routine (using an app like RoboCopy or SyncToy) to copy the data from one server to the other.
    Friday, May 8, 2009 2:11 PM
  • If you want it to be automated, then probably robocopy will be your best bet. Microsoft also has a new tool, RichCopy, which you might want to take a look at. It's similar to robocopy, except that it's multi-threaded for better performance.
    Friday, May 8, 2009 3:43 PM