Oncecare does not find spyware RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am trailing OneCare and comparing it to my existing anti-virus software and find that OneCare does not find any spyware on my pc but my old anti-virus software finds over 20 of them also the scan takes over 4hrs, any thoughts on what I’m doing wrong.

OneCare version: 2.0.2500.14

Virus and spyware definition version: 1.24.51720.0

Friday, January 4, 2008 9:52 AM

Answers

• If your other antivirus software is finding spyware other than cookies please post back. One Care does not scan cookies. Cookies can be controlled through your browser settings. Regarding scan time, uninstalling the other antivirus product should allow One Care to scan more quickly.

Friday, January 4, 2008 3:49 PM

All replies

• If your other antivirus software is finding spyware other than cookies please post back. One Care does not scan cookies. Cookies can be controlled through your browser settings. Regarding scan time, uninstalling the other antivirus product should allow One Care to scan more quickly.

Friday, January 4, 2008 3:49 PM
  • I Jim, thanks for the information, my other antivirus has been uninstalled - I used a test enviroment and performance is not good enough also onecare can't scan cookies I'll skip oncare and and renew my old one which does

Saturday, January 5, 2008 7:08 AM
  • BennLop,

Scanning and removing cookies is an utter waste of time. The way cookies work is that they collect information while you are browsing and pass that information back to the servers when they request it. Since you typically will only run your scanner every few days or each day at the most, they've still passed large amounts of information back to the servers between those scans.

This is why the browser is the only way to stop cookies, since you can configure it to reject the cookies from the beginning and not allow the data collection to occur. To do this in Internet Explorer, look in Internet Options, Privacy, Advanced button.

The reason that other vendors include cookies in their scans is to convince you that their product is doing something, since most people rarely encounter anything severe more often than once or twice a year. Cookies are really not a threat since all they can do is track your movements between a few web sites and that can be done many other ways anyway.

OneCareBear

Saturday, January 5, 2008 4:04 PM
  • OK, but why does a scan tack over 4hrs

Sunday, January 6, 2008 9:31 AM
  • OneCare deep scans the files on a PC, so depending on the number of files and folders, size and performance of the disk system on the PC this may or may not be normal. Remember that OneCare isn't just anti-spyware which usually skip scanning files, but also anti-virus which scans all files.

In some cases there has been slow scanning by OneCare usually caused by some interaction with remnants of another protection program as previously mentioned. Often these other programs aren't completely removed by their uninstall programs, so that can also be an issue. This often results in much longer times though on the order of a day or more, so your's sounds relatively normal if you have lots of files.

Regardless of whether the scan time in your case is normal or not, the design of Tune-Up is to be run as an automated process when you're not using the PC, such as overnight. In this case, the long deep scans aren't really noticeable as long as they aren't over a few hours. This is different then the old idea of sitting and watching your PC scan, which is a pointless effort on your part since the PC should really do the work.

In general it's not necessary to do a full AV scan very often since the realtime scanner will protect from both virus and spyware on the fly when files are read or written.

OneCareBear

Sunday, January 6, 2008 4:04 PM