Project Workspace Permissions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I want to change the permissions for all project managers from Design to Contribute with regard to project workspaces in a Project Server 2007 environment. I want them to be able to add content in lists and libraries, but not change the structure of the lists and libraries by adding or deleting columns. 

I think I should be able to do this by changing the Project Managers (Microsoft Office Project Server Group) SharePoint group permissions in PWA. All I want to be able to do is uncheck the Manage Lists checkbox and test 
    from there.

However, I do that and the permissions for the workspaces are not applied as I expected. The Manage Lists checkbox in the workspace remains checked regardless of whether I create a new workspace or publish an existing one again.

Will this approach work at all?
    Or am I setting the permissions in the wrong place? 
    I think I might be changing the permissions for just PWA, not the workspaces as maybe Project Server sets the permissions somewhere else, perhaps internally?

Any assistance would be appreciated.
    Friday, June 4, 2010 6:46 AM

Answers

All replies

• Under server settings | Project Workspace Provisioning settings, uncheck the Workspace Permissions checkbox - then read and understand the text next to the checkbox.  Then for each workspace individually, you'll need to change the permissions as you require.

It's a pain, unless anyone else knows a better way.

Ben Howard [MVP] http://appleparkltd.spaces.live.com/
    Friday, June 4, 2010 8:30 AM
  • Thanks, Ben. I've tested a few more scenarios and it appears it doesn't matter what permissions you use when you create the project, you always end up with project managers having design rights over the workspace. However, it you uncheck the Manage Lists checkbox in the workspace once the workspace is created it looks like it doesn't get reset again, even if the project manager publishes the project when the PWA permissions have the box checked.

It would be good to hear from someone who knows how this works internally, and if there's a way to actually avoid it totally, but the solution in my case may be to get the PMO to initially create and publish the projects. I'd rather not be forced to do this, but at least it looks like this is one way around it.

Friday, June 4, 2010 1:48 PM
  • Still:

The system uses a fairly simple synchronization routine to maintain the permissions. So, you can write your own synchronization routine, given that you don't like the built-in facility, or manage the permissions manually as Ben suggested.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 1:10 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, Gary. I was thinking of engaging a developer to write an event-handler for the publish event that would set the permissions appropriately. Were you thinking the same thing, or do you mean something else by 'synchronization routine'? I'm not aware of another way of doing it?
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 2:43 AM
  • That sounds like the best way Still.  One challenge is tracking that the site has been created before running your permissions stuff.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    • Marked as answer by StillPS2007 Tuesday, July 6, 2010 7:03 AM
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 8:22 PM