Career advice RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am new to Microsoft Certification. I have 2 years of experience in developing applications on visual studio and now i want to be certified MCPD on Visual Studio 2008.  Unfortunately i am getting very confused about the paths that are offered, so here are my questions:

1. On the microsoft certification page there is a section called "Skills Measured". Is that the course objective/curriculum that i have to follow for my study?

2.  Why is there no preparation materials for the MCPD 70-563?

3.  Must i wait for training materials/books for MCPD on Visual Studio 2010 and take these set of exams?

Thank you for giving me some advice.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 5:17 PM

Answers

• 1) Yes, the "Skills measured" tab in the exam description page lists the various pieces of knowledge that will be tested in the exam. I suggest that you print the list and "tick" one by one each of the entries after you study the corresponding subject matter. After you have checked all of them, you are ready to take the exam.

2) The 70-563 is a "PRO" exam. These exams are quite different from the "TS" ones, because they test your ability to design a solution. This is mostly based on experience and logic (as well as the knowledge of the capabilities and characteristics of the tools and technoligies involved). Experience and logic are not things that can be easily acquired from "preparation materials", so I guess that this is the reason why none are suggested at the web site.

3) Since you mention the 70-563 exam, I imagine that you are pursuing the MCPD on Windows Forms. If this is the case, then you should NOT wait for the VS2010 version of the exams. The new exams deal basically with WPF, and WinForms have been essentially forgotten. So if you want WinForms, you are stuck with the 2008 version.

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Thursday, July 8, 2010 1:55 PM
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 5:58 PM