Upgrading Qualifications RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all,

First time posting here so you will have to bear with me on this...

I originally did my MCAD qualification back in 2006/7, landed a job and basically just stuck with it as it was company policy that everyone would use VS2003. I have obviously messed around with each version of VS and .net as they came out but I really need to start getting some certs in it now. Problem is of course....which path do I take?

Eventually I want to end up with MCPD for Visual Studio 2010 and from what i understand it will require exams 70-511, 70-513, 70-516 and 70-518 (for asp.net developer 4) all for the .Net Framework 4 platform. I could of course simply go do these exams and start my qualifications from scratch so to speak but was wondering more about upgrading and getting the bits in between.

I know certain upgrade exams are available and with those + extra exams would get me more certs but would it be necessary? I'm thinking that on my CV it will look more impressive if its seen as progressive (1.1, 2.0, 3.5, 4.0 etc) rather than just a direct jump from 1.1 to 4.0. That being the case what would be the path and exam numbers to take at each stage in order to upgrade my qualifications from 1.1 > 2.0 > 3.5 then finally to 4.0? I understand this maybe a rather long and daunting list....

Rather long post but all help would be greatly appreciated!

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 3:02 PM

Answers

• Well, you could start here:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-vstudio.aspx#tab4

and then scroll down the page to find the "upgrade" section. There, you will find out that exam 70-551 upgrades your MCAD to MCPD:Web developer 2.0. Then go to Tab 3 on the same page, scroll down to the Upgrade section, and find out that 70-567 upgrades you into version 3.5. And finally, on Tab 2, find 70-523 for upgrading to MCPD Web Developer 4.

This was an example for upgrading to MCPD:Web developer, but the same pages will show you other available upgrade paths.

Thursday, December 23, 2010 6:20 AM
  • I would just do the 4.0 Exams, you would need to upgrade to the 2005 Exams then the 2008 then 2010 Exams which would take more effort and money than taking the new exams.  I have all these certifications but only ever show the latest certs on my resume.  I think it confuses people rather than helps having too many certs and most employers are only interested in the latest version (or still think MCAD is the latest!!).

Also I think the latest certs are easier than the old ones 70-536 in particular is the hardest of the MCTS exams and is not required/replaced for 4.0.

Hope thia helps and good luck,

Ozzy Geoff

• Proposed as answer by Geoff Clark MCM Thursday, December 23, 2010 8:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Sunday, January 9, 2011 9:24 PM
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 8:58 AM

All replies

• Well, you could start here:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-vstudio.aspx#tab4

and then scroll down the page to find the "upgrade" section. There, you will find out that exam 70-551 upgrades your MCAD to MCPD:Web developer 2.0. Then go to Tab 3 on the same page, scroll down to the Upgrade section, and find out that 70-567 upgrades you into version 3.5. And finally, on Tab 2, find 70-523 for upgrading to MCPD Web Developer 4.

This was an example for upgrading to MCPD:Web developer, but the same pages will show you other available upgrade paths.

Thursday, December 23, 2010 6:20 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Alberto, I think my confusion was on which upgrade path would be better as there seems to be 3-4 options available especially when you look at the upgrade exams 70-551 (Upgrade: MCAD Skills to MCPD Web Developer by Using the Microsoft .NET Framework) vs 70-559 (Upgrade: MCAD Skills to MCTS Web Applications by Using the Microsoft .NET Framework).

Managed to talk to one of the guys from microsoft on chat and he suggested taking 529 and 549.

Thursday, December 23, 2010 7:43 AM
  • I would just do the 4.0 Exams, you would need to upgrade to the 2005 Exams then the 2008 then 2010 Exams which would take more effort and money than taking the new exams.  I have all these certifications but only ever show the latest certs on my resume.  I think it confuses people rather than helps having too many certs and most employers are only interested in the latest version (or still think MCAD is the latest!!).

Also I think the latest certs are easier than the old ones 70-536 in particular is the hardest of the MCTS exams and is not required/replaced for 4.0.

Hope thia helps and good luck,

Ozzy Geoff

• Proposed as answer by Geoff Clark MCM Thursday, December 23, 2010 8:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Sunday, January 9, 2011 9:24 PM
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 8:58 AM