Windows XP Home OEM SLP Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.  I have a Toshiba Satellite A70 laptop, with the mgadiag.exe (Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool) 
    Information as posted below.  I have two questions about the Windows XP Home licensing.

Earlier this year I wanted to reinstall my operating system, to "start fresh" with a "new" laptop.  The laptop came
    with a recovery CD from Toshiba.  I did not want to use this recovery disk, as it comes preloaded with tons of 
    software I do not want (Norton AntiVirus 2004, for example).  I wanted to have a "clean" Windows XP Home, without 
    the added software from Toshiba that I did not need or want.  So I have a friend who has a Windows XP Home OEM 
    (with SP2) disk that he loaned me.  What I wanted to do was just use the XP Home OEM disk, and use my genuine 
    Toshiba Product Key, found on the bottom of the laptop.  Well it turns out that, during the Windows XP setup 
    process, after I had formatted my system, the product key on the bottom of my laptop would not work with the XP 
    Home OEM disk.  After correctly entering it (yes it was entered properly), it said "invalid key" or something to 
    that effect, and I could not continue the setup process.  What I ended up doing was use the Toshiba recovery CD 
    (much to my dismay), and it of course worked fine.  I noticed the "License Type" is "OEM SLP"... is that why I 
    cannot use a generic XP Home OEM disk to reinstall my operating system?  I also noticed that the COA sticker on the
    bottom of my laptop does not say "OEM" on it... but for that matter it does not even say Windows XP Home (unless it
    got rubbed off over time).  Well the time has come that my system could use a reformat and reinstall of Windows.  
    So my question is, can I use a Windows XP Home, or a Windows XP Home OEM disk to reinstall my operating system, 
    using the key on my laptop, or am I stuck with the Toshiba recovery CD?

Now to add a twist, the CD key shown below (Windows Product Key: *****-*****-W3R3K-J2VF4-JFP8W) does NOT match the key on the bottom of my laptop.  Now I do not really care too much right now about that, because I am going to reinstall XP anyways, but I just found it strange (especially because when I Google that key, it is like... pirated or something).  Also, when I use the Magical Jelly Bean keyfinder to try and change the key to the real key I have on my COA, it says does not work, and gives me an error message.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you in advance.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Cached / Grace status: N/A, N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-W3R3K-J2VF4-JFP8W
    Windows Product Key Hash: XPfxGkd+SaYWqIyXYZav/kIic8c=
    Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2111907-00111
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: {7FA917C6-8A47-4CC3-A24D-78C717860E41}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: N/A, N/A, N/A
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 108 Invalid VLK
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{7FA917C6-8A47-4CC3-A24D-78C717860E41}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0039.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-JFP8W</PKey><PID>76477-OEM-2111907-00111</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-682807631-1505540852-3396210286</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>TOSHIBA</Manufacturer><Model>Satellite A70</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>TOSHIBA</Manufacturer><Version>V1.50</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="31"/><Date>20041116000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>TOSHIBA,TOSHIBA</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>8A393D07018400DC</HWID><UserLCID>1009</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>TOSHIBA</name><model>MFWT020ACP07</model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>108</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>108</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>55FC80CDE0D6D00</Val><Hash>Zz/0v6MgyuSMDYrd95KtmPT6oBY=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-9422902-57179</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{91A10409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office OneNote 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>53104E0A3796F12</Val><Hash>4iOGQg/4/rofAB7rJEEAQW2rW18=</Hash><Pid>70172-OEM-5590565-39303</Pid><PidType>6</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{90120000-0030-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>108</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>9ADD911C932FD86</Val><Hash>Vxl523539p1lG7zun6RocPAAwmo=</Hash><Pid>89388-707-3605016-65245</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults>
    Sunday, September 9, 2007 2:49 AM

Answers

• Major computer manufacturers who preinstall Windows Vista use a different Vista image and product key at the factory.  Thus, the product key affixed to your PC is different....nothing to worry about. However, the product key affixed to your PC is only valid with the PC manufacturer's recommended Windows Vista restore or recovery method.  If you wish to install a so-called plain-jane OEM version of Windows Vista, you'll need to purchase a new license and CD.  Visit Newegg.com for good pricing on OEM versions of Windows Vista.

Sunday, September 9, 2007 2:58 AM
  • Hello Landing Lights,

I noticed you had questions about licensing.  Please visit the following web page and you may view licensing agreements about MS Software located here:  http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/ .  Also I would like to direct you to MS Marketplace should you want purchase software located here:  http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/. Should you have any WGA questions please post again.  Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, September 10, 2007 8:41 PM
  • Landing Lights,

Every (probably over a hundred by now) time I have tried, I have been able to use a generic systembuilder/OEM XP installation CD along with the Product Key printed on a major manufacturer CoA to successfully install Windows XP, as long as the edition of the CD matched the edition of the CoA.

Your statement, "for that matter it does not even say Windows XP Home (unless it
    got rubbed off over time)" most likely reflects the problem.....part of the Product Key printed on the CoA may have rubbed off to the point where it cannot be correctly read.

I have to express my opinion that differs from Carey's regarding whether an installation of XP done using a generic systembuilder/OEM CD along with a major manufacturer CoA PK constitutes a valid and genuine installation of an XP license.  I think it does; he thinks that you have a valid and genuine license on a major manufacturer computer ONLY if you use the corresponding manufacturer's recovery solution.  IMHO the flaw in Carey's argument is revealed in the situation where the manufacturer supplied the recovery solution only as a recovery partition on the hard disk, and where NO recovery CDs are made available by the manufacturer.  In the event of hard disk failure, the computer owner would "lose their license" to XP.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 5:09 PM

All replies

• Major computer manufacturers who preinstall Windows Vista use a different Vista image and product key at the factory.  Thus, the product key affixed to your PC is different....nothing to worry about. However, the product key affixed to your PC is only valid with the PC manufacturer's recommended Windows Vista restore or recovery method.  If you wish to install a so-called plain-jane OEM version of Windows Vista, you'll need to purchase a new license and CD.  Visit Newegg.com for good pricing on OEM versions of Windows Vista.

Sunday, September 9, 2007 2:58 AM
  • Hello Landing Lights,

I noticed you had questions about licensing.  Please visit the following web page and you may view licensing agreements about MS Software located here:  http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/ .  Also I would like to direct you to MS Marketplace should you want purchase software located here:  http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/. Should you have any WGA questions please post again.  Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, September 10, 2007 8:41 PM
  • Landing Lights,

Every (probably over a hundred by now) time I have tried, I have been able to use a generic systembuilder/OEM XP installation CD along with the Product Key printed on a major manufacturer CoA to successfully install Windows XP, as long as the edition of the CD matched the edition of the CoA.

Your statement, "for that matter it does not even say Windows XP Home (unless it
    got rubbed off over time)" most likely reflects the problem.....part of the Product Key printed on the CoA may have rubbed off to the point where it cannot be correctly read.

I have to express my opinion that differs from Carey's regarding whether an installation of XP done using a generic systembuilder/OEM CD along with a major manufacturer CoA PK constitutes a valid and genuine installation of an XP license.  I think it does; he thinks that you have a valid and genuine license on a major manufacturer computer ONLY if you use the corresponding manufacturer's recovery solution.  IMHO the flaw in Carey's argument is revealed in the situation where the manufacturer supplied the recovery solution only as a recovery partition on the hard disk, and where NO recovery CDs are made available by the manufacturer.  In the event of hard disk failure, the computer owner would "lose their license" to XP.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 5:09 PM