New server build, old dog needs new server RRS feed

• Question

• I don't know why I am so nervous about building a WHS box...  Have built many computers for myself and family/friends over the years...  maybe it's that this box will be responsible for maintaining all the data spread between our different computers, which is also why we desperately need the server.

Anyway,  here is what I am looking at

• COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 RC-534-SKN2-GP Black / Silver Aluminum & Mesh bezel / SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
    • MSI P43 Neo3-F LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    • PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS500 500W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
    • Intel Pentium E2200 Allendale 2.2GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model
    • Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
    • (2) Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EACS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
    • Western Digital Caviar SE WD5000AAJS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
    • LITE-ON Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDP118-04 - OEM

The server will be used to backup my wife's work at home computer, my antiquated gaming frankenstein computer, and a laptop.  Storing and serving music, pictures and videos.  Nothing too radical.

Any suggestions or pointers?

Monday, December 8, 2008 3:57 AM

Answers

• Nice.  I'm jealous.  My WHS is an old IBM eServer x200.

The 500GB drive is to be used as your System drive, yes?
    My only pointers:  make sure that you connect that drive to the SATA0 port (this will make Server Reinstallation, should it ever be necessary, a lot easier.)
    Install the OS with only that drive installed; install the 1TB drives later.
    Make sure that you leave the the DVD in the drive until you're at the Welcome screen - WHS is a little odd in the install, it's easy to think that it's done before it really is.

Enjoy your WHS!

-Chris

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    • Marked as answer by Sierragt Wednesday, December 10, 2008 4:16 AM
    Monday, December 8, 2008 5:12 AM

All replies

• That'll work...

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Monday, December 8, 2008 4:01 AM
  • Nice.  I'm jealous.  My WHS is an old IBM eServer x200.

The 500GB drive is to be used as your System drive, yes?
    My only pointers:  make sure that you connect that drive to the SATA0 port (this will make Server Reinstallation, should it ever be necessary, a lot easier.)
    Make sure that you leave the the DVD in the drive until you're at the Welcome screen - WHS is a little odd in the install, it's easy to think that it's done before it really is.

Enjoy your WHS!

-Chris

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    • Marked as answer by Sierragt Wednesday, December 10, 2008 4:16 AM
    Monday, December 8, 2008 5:12 AM
  • Hi,

As others have said, your proposed build appears fine.
    The one thing you need to ensure, is that the drivers that you will need - SATA, NIC etc., are, if possible, server 2003 versions as WHS is built 'on top' of it. As such, there are no up to date drivers included in the software, and all need to be installed twice during your install. Once during the Graphical portion of the setup, and then again, during the Text mode portion, using F6.
    If you encounter difficulties doing the SATA ones, quite a few people have resorted to changing their BIOS to 'IDE compatable' or similar for their drive connection. Although this might appear a retrograde step, in reality, the difference in server performance is to all intents and purposes, un-noticeable during day to day operation.

Good luck,

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Monday, December 8, 2008 1:42 PM
  • Just a suggestion to use the current generation of Western Digital "green" terrabyte hard drives (WD10EADS).  They're more efficient & faster than the first generation.
    Monday, December 8, 2008 5:30 PM
  • Yep,
    Can recommend the Western Digital "green" drives! They are quit, cool, low on power and perform well with WHS.
    Don't know about the EADS series, but I have two EACS units in my servers)
    Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 10:29 PM
  • Chris Cupler said:

Why do you suggest installing without data drives attached? I am setting up a new server this weekend and had planned to connect all drives for installation.

TIA
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 3:23 PM
  • Mainly to be sure that WHS is installed to the drive that you intend it to be on.
    It's a bit easier to install the OS (or, for that matter, any OS) when your intended system drive is the only one that's connected.  ;)

-Chris
    Friday, December 12, 2008 1:04 AM