none
MCITP 70-646 exam content RRS feed

• Question

• Are the Microsoft practice exams that ship with the 'Self Paced' the best tests to practice with prior to the exam?

I'm getting really good scores, but I am starting to get nervous by some other Non-Microsoft practice tests out there, as they seem so much more difficult.

Are there any tips that anyone has for the last 2 weeks before the exam?

Any better study or practice methods etc?

Thanks

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 11:28 AM

Answers

• In my opinion, the practice questions that ship with the self-paced Microsoft books are a bit too easy to gauge readiness for the exam.  I prefer to go with third-party practice tests.

See the following Microsoft page which has a couple of links to trusted third-party practice test vendors.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/exam.aspx#tab2

Here is a high level overview for my last 2 weeks for a production exam (not BETA) -  this is just one of many approaches:

1. Finish reading book(s).  I try to ensure that my reading is finished at least a week before the actual exam.  Often, I'll highlight areas of the book that stand out as important (or that I want to remember).
    2. Take practice tests.  The goal is to identify areas that may need improvement.  Typically, I aim to take practice tests about 7 days before the actual exam.  If I'm heading into an exam in an area that I already strong in, I'll take practice tests FIRST - then read a book (and in such a case, I'll skip portions of the book where I'm already really strong).
    3. Use labs (Hyper-V + VMs or online Microsoft labs) to work with the areas that need improvement.  I spend a few days on this and often go back to the practice questions to see how I would approach them after working in the labs.
    4. Compile notes for cram mode.  This may end up being 2 pages of text.  Sometimes, it may be prerequisites, limits, numbers, commands, etc.  Other times, it may be just sentences from what I learned in the labs that I want to remember.
    5. With a few days to go, I'll re-take at least one practice test.
    6. The last two days, I'll usually go into "cram" mode.  I'll review the highlighting of the book from step #1.  I'll review any notes compiled.  I'll scan through the practice tests again (usually avoiding taking the test and instead read explanations and such).  I'll take the notes to the exam center.  30 minutes before the exam, I'll scan through them one last time.

Good luck!

Brian

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 6:20 PM