Enhancement: First detect if connection is valid RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Right now we have a working synch environment created for a system where users can work offline, and synch when they come online.

When someone synchs their program, it goes through two major steps
    1. uploading changes
    2. downloading changes

If the user does not have a valid connection to the master database, this is reported AFTER step 1.
    Since fetching the updates of the local SQLce database takes quite some time in our case, the customer is waiting for the first half to complete, only to discover that his connection is invalid and he/she can not synch anyway.

In my case I added a programmatic check if the connection is valid before the synch, and abort the synch if the connection is invalid.

In my opinion, this is the task of the synch framework and would be a valuable enhancement.

Regards,

Sjors Miltenburg
    • Moved by Max Wang_1983 Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:10 PM Forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Feedback [ReadOnly])
    Friday, September 12, 2008 7:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Sajors,

this logic ( to check if server connection is there ) should be part of the application's logic. the logic should be farely simple ( for both 2 tier configiration and ntier configuration ). for ntier, you can utilize the GetServerInfo() APi from the dbserverprovider for such purpose.

can you elaborate a little bit why you think this should be part of the sync framework API ?

thanks

Yunwen

Monday, September 29, 2008 8:47 PM