Recommendations for external storage RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have an Adaptec 1420SA SATA RAID controller with 4 250GB drives in a RAID 10 in my Home Server.  This is in addition to the 160GB SCSI drive that the system boots from.  I would like to add additional external storage, maybe something like a total of 2 TB's of usable space, and would like to hear from others that have done something similar.  I have thought about adding an additional RAID controller with an external storage container using 4 1TB drives running also in a RAID 10 but not sure if this is the optimum configuration.
    Thursday, December 25, 2008 6:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    I have not done something similar and I cannot give you a hint in that direction.
    I only want to mention, that RAID is not supported by Windows Home Server and it's usage is not only a waste of storage and electrical power (and overpowered for a normal home environment), but also increasing the difficulties in case of a necessary server reinstall.
    So while this could be done, it is far from an optimum configuration.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, December 26, 2008 12:59 PM
  • So how can I move the content off of the RAID container so that I can delete the container and have JOBD?
    Friday, December 26, 2008 3:04 PM
  • Hi,
    if you add a separate 1 TB drive to the storage pool and then remove the disk representing the RAID via console from storage pool, your data should be migrated completely off from that array to the added drive.
    After that you can unbind the array in the controller and add the separate disks to the storage pool again, if you wish to do this, or swap them against other new 1 TB drives directly.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, December 26, 2008 4:24 PM
  • Hello,
    I agree with Olaf about removing the existing RAID from your system.  Add a large drive (the easy part).  Then tell WHS to remove the RAID (which will take hours but does work).  Your original question was about adding more storage.  I have added external storage using "Cavalry CADA002SA4" devices.  They are e-sata boxes and come with a raid controller.  The referenced box number comes with 4 - 500GB drives but 4 - 750GB and 4 - 1000GB are available.  I do not now use the RAID capability but use the controller to concatenate the drives together (slightly more dangerous but it leaves me with fewer drive "units" to deal with -- do not go past the 2TB limit if concatenating).  You could simply obtain and use external JBOD boxes with large drives like the "HD-3401-ES" from Premiertek less than $200 shipped without drives (but it can hold 4 - 1.5TB drives).  The options I mention all are e-sata (very fast), do pose some hardware restrictions - slot for a e-sata controller card, but work great.  They all use e-sata port multiplier systems so each box has only one power cable and one e-sata cable connecting to it.  Very clean and they look nice.  My WHS system currently has 7.73TB total space, 3.98TB available and is still growing.  I hope this gives you some options.
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 12:23 PM