Windows or office genuine advantage RRS feed

• Question

• I have authentic Windows XP (7 yrs) Office 2003 software (5 yrs).  Last week I installed the automatic microsoft updates. After rebooting my Zonealarm firewall had a popup window asking to allow a executable to have internet access. I forgot the name of the executable but I think it was oga.exe, BUT I AM DEFINETELY NOT SURE. I denied the executable accessing the internet without doing a internet search of the file.  When I did I discovered it was the Windows/Office authentication file. Now when I have opened up my Word to use, I get the message stating that my Word is not Genuine.  How do I validate my software?  What is the name of the file so I can see if my firewall is still blocking that executable?

All help is appreciated!!
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 1:49 AM

Answers

• Hello louiegirl,

Here is a snippet of your mgadiag report:

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: Registered, 2.0.48.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

The report is telling us that your Dell computer has a nongenuine installation of a Volume Licensing-only edition of Office 2003 Pro.  Your installation was done with a widely pirated and now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK).

Apparently the network engineer who gave you this as "payment" gave you this pirated copy of Office.

Volume Licensing editions of Office such as your installation of Office 2003 Professional are not to be sold to individual consumers, and are only to be sold to businesses, educational institutions, and governmental agencies who need flexibility in installing and deploying many copies of Office.

These Volume Licenses should not be sold to consumers because they are not permanent licenses; they are subject to a current Volume Licensing Agreement that has a finite term, sort of like a lease.  Consumers thinking they purchased permanently licensd software would understandably be upset when their software stopped working at the end of a lease.

If you purchased Office 2003 Professional thinking you were buying genuine retail Office Professional 2003 for consumers with a permanent license, please return the software to the place of purchase for replacement or a full refund. 

You can also review the Office Genuine Advantage FAQ to see if you qualify for the discounted or complimentary replacement program called the Office Genuine Offer: 
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en&sGuid=4ba10af9-ffaa-4cb9-9af4-6aff8a220262#ID0EKNAC

One other possibility is that at one time your computer did have a Genuine installation of Office installed, but for some reason it was replaced with the current installation which is nongenuine.  This could have happened if you took your computer to a repair shop and they reinstalled Windows and/or some or all of your programs.  You Get Genuine once again by uninstalling the current nongenuine installation of Office and using your Genuine Microsoft hologrammed Office installation CDs, along with the genuine Product Key found on your Office Edition's Certificate of Authenticity, to put back the genuine installation of Office you may have already had on the computer.

By the way, I sincerely doubt that downloading and installing IE8 from a genuine Microsoft download point gave you the trojan horse infection.  On the other hand, if you downloaded it from somewhere other than Micosoft, then it is entirely possible that malware may have been embedded within the IE8 download.  This is a very common situation.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, December 11, 2009 4:42 PM
  • Hello jegreen3,

OGA Data-->

Office Diagnostics: 77F760FE-153-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002_B4D0AA8B-604-645_025D1FF3-230-1

The report is telling us that you have a nongenuine installation of a Volume Licensing-only edition of Office 2003 Pro.  Your installation was done with a widely pirated and now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK).

Volume Licensing editions of Office such as your installation of Office 2003 Professional are not to be sold to individual consumers, and are only to be sold to businesses, educational institutions, and governmental agencies who need flexibility in installing and deploying many copies of Office.

These Volume Licenses should not be sold to consumers because they are not permanent licenses; they are subject to a current Volume Licensing Agreement that has a finite term, sort of like a lease.  Consumers thinking they purchased permanently licensd software would understandably be upset when their software stopped working at the end of a lease.

If you purchased Office 2003 Professional thinking you were buying genuine retail Office Professional 2003 for consumers with a permanent license, please return the software to the place of purchase for replacement or a full refund. 

You can also review the Office Genuine Advantage FAQ to see if you qualify for the discounted or complimentary replacement program called the Office Genuine Offer:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en&sGuid=4ba10af9-ffaa-4cb9-9af4-6aff8a220262#ID0EKNAC

One other possibility is that at one time your computer did have a Genuine installation of Office installed, but for some reason it was replaced with the current installation which is nongenuine.  This could have happened if you took your computer to a repair shop and they reinstalled Windows and/or some or all of your programs.  You Get Genuine once again by uninstalling the current nongenuine installation of Office and using your Genuine Microsoft hologrammed Office installation CDs, along with the genuine Product Key found on your Office Edition's Certificate of Authenticity, to put back the genuine installation of Office you may have already had on the computer.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, October 22, 2009 6:27 PM
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:07 AM

All replies

• Hello jegreen3,

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click the "Continue" button, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into your post.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 2:45 AM
  • No reply from original poster

Closing thread as answered.

Darin MS
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:48 PM
  • Thanks I will try the link, then post the error.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 7:01 PM
  • Here is my report from running the diagnostic tool:
    Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-T6DFB-Y934T-YD4YT
    Windows Product Key Hash: 3g4CZGFEDgbKmn/oB4pa2FZsssU=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2211906-00102
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {9041BC64-EAB6-437E-A917-6A2903B5480E}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 2.0.48.0
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Diagnostics: 77F760FE-153-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002_B4D0AA8B-604-645_025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{9041BC64-EAB6-437E-A917-6A2903B5480E}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-YD4YT</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2211906-00102</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3941748362-1524777153-50066883</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>Inspiron 6000                   </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>A09</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050928000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>98683907018400E2</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Dell Inspiron I6000</name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="OGAAddin.dll" Version="2.0.48.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57893</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="44" Version="11" Result="114"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 1833F:Dell Inc|1833F:Microsoft Corporation
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 2:42 AM
  • Hello jegreen3,

OGA Data-->

The report is telling us that you have a nongenuine installation of a Volume Licensing-only edition of Office 2003 Pro.  Your installation was done with a widely pirated and now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK).

You can also review the Office Genuine Advantage FAQ to see if you qualify for the discounted or complimentary replacement program called the Office Genuine Offer:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en&sGuid=4ba10af9-ffaa-4cb9-9af4-6aff8a220262#ID0EKNAC

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, October 22, 2009 6:27 PM
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:07 AM
  • Good morning, Darin (you seem very adept at this issue, thank you),

Grrrrr!

PLEASE give me advice on what I should do NEXT!!!  I had simply been registering myself in the forums back on June 3, 2009 when McAfee Personal Firewall Plus quarantined a trojan horse in two paths of my C:\ drive that had sneaked in via a new installation of Internet Explorer 8.  The quarantine notices appeared on June 6, 2009!  So of course I reverted back to IE7. 

Since then, I have used at least 3 different scanners for trojan horses and malware, as well as my McAfee regular scans (not all at the same time, of course) and I did not find that trojan horse ever again.  However:  

I have pulled out my hair since that time because the TH ended up eating up media files (especially picture files, used extensively in my company, as well as corrupting all the music files that I installed from CDs) and then corrupting my OS of Windows XP Professional.  I reinstalled it.  I also installed a DIFFERENT package of the Office 2003 program using my hologramed MS disk with ITS license key, because the laptop that my secretary uses, wirelessly connected to me, has difficulties with a different volume copy of Office 2003 on HER laptop.  THAT Office 2003 program was payment for a job I performed for a network engineer of a bank long ago. 

I do have a different license key for this second program installation, but I have not uninstalled and reinstalled THIS program of Office 2003 yet--I have a business to run.  The vendors that I have worked with on this can of worms have been Dell Hardware support since due to this issue I had to buy another hard drive (!!!) of 2 TB to install into my main Dell desktop, my computer's manufacturer, Dell On Call (software support), Microsoft Office support (only for one of the many problems I have encountered since June 3 and I will have to start a new case after January 1, 2010, since I simply have to get work done that I could not do from June 3 through the mid-November 2009 thanks to the trojan horse infection), McAfee technicians, Comcast technicians, and I had to purchase a program that recovered lost files as well as another software program to find any duplicate files, which is SUCH a laborious procedure!, and, because of the trojan horse infection, I had to send my EXTERNAL 2TB hard drive to its vendor to find all the data and reinsert it, which was a loss of time of 15 days when I really needed that drive, as well as with SYMANTEC techs for Norton Ghost 12, which I use, on three external hard drives, to make mirror images of my C:\ drive!!!  Grrrrrrrrrr!!!

All right, so after installing another of my Office 2003 programs from your hologramed disk using the license key ON the package, not the other one that I have for this product (which might be the solution, i.e., to uninstall this program and then to install it with the other license key available), since as I can see above, and you can see in this log generated using your tool as mentioned above, on today, which is December 11, 2009, I ran the tool against the whole C:\

So then, I decided to put the other Office 2003 onto at least MY computer, as I am the CEO of a corporation and I have lost countless hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars in doing all I could to right my system after this attack sent to me via IE 8. 

I want you to know this:  the infection dropped into my drive via IE8 on June 3, 2009 has been a total disaster.  NOW many of my photos from even my external hard drives will not display.  Some of my Word 2003 documents are renamed with something such as "noname," "noname1," and so on.  These files relate to my other occupation as a professional writer!  That amounts to a loss of my copyrighted material!  So what do I do, go back through ALL of my CD backups now to retrieve these files? 

The last straw came today when I wished to create a simple Excel spreadsheet and I investigated a genuine advantage error of that program.  Know that I did allow an update the other day that addressed some vulnerability that your updates told me would help with my FrontPage program.  I updated my system on your update site via an express update of 11 updates.  Since two days ago, other than this problem with my Office 2003 program, I have not seen that any updates that I could take are crucial, such as INTERNET EXPLORER NO. 8!!!  Do you think I would download that?  Now software engineers are saying that no one should use it!!!  Apparently IE8 itself is a monster. 

I say the last straw because I am ready to get a MAC and get it loaded with LINUX/UNIX.  I cannot continue to lose data that I must have for my corporation's work!  And I just don't have the time to reload my music CDs which I would love to do considering the nervous wreck I have been since June.  I have paths within my C:\ path that are from older internal hard drives because I had hoped to easily retrieve my photo files. 

You just do not realize the extent of damage that the TH did to my system.  You should take all of my external drives, my computer (which I love and which never gave me a headache until IE8 gave me the infection), which contains both a 2TB and a 500GB hard drive, as well as additional hard drives that are sitting in a drawer, so you could spend two years analyzing what happened.  Because, that is what it feels like to me.  Being that I worked with software for about 32 years (though my corporation never was an IT company), you'd think that I could understand the confusion.  But I can't, since it's way too convoluted. It feels to me that I should be paid money to analyze what IE8 downloaded onto my drive to have caused such a mess. 

So here.  Here is my run of the genuine advantage tool that you provided above, and I need to know what to do about my Office 2003 installation, both the newer one on my desktop as well as the corrupted Outlook 2003 profile that exists in my administrator-priviledged account on the laptop (windows XP home edition, not professional, which is on the desktop) without blowing up my secretary's system.  Because I have just had enough with my own. 

(ALL OF THIS FILE, LETTER INCLUDED AND DIAGNOSTIC RESULTS ARE ONLY 3,7XX characters long, but your system is telling me that I must have a character count between 4 - 60000, so then, the diagnostics must be placed into my next post).

Thank you in advance, "lu"

Friday, December 11, 2009 3:18 PM
  • (please notify MS that its required character count reported back to the customer is incorrect, or else, that the character count contained within Word 2003's word count is incorrect, since I am having problems giving you the report).  So, Darin, Part II now:

Darin at MS:

December 11, 2009:

2nd attempt to submit (with a proper work count) of the diagnostics report run earlier today:

BROWSER TAB, UNICODE:

WGA Data-->

ID: {152FD46A-CD1E-4F14-BE28-4ED9EB98EE80}(3)

WgaER Data-->

OGA Data-->

Browser Data-->

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{152FD46A-CD1E-4F14-BE28-4ED9EB98EE80}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-YD4YT</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2211906-00102</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-73586283-299502267-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.               </Manufacturer><Model>Dell DXP051                  </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.               </Manufacturer><Version>A07</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20070108000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>71433B6701847B66</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="OGAAddin.dll" Version="2.0.48.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57689</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="44" Version="11" Result="114"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->

N/A

HWID Data-->

N/A

Marker string from BIOS: 1ABD5:Dell Inc|1ABD5:Microsoft Corporation

Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System

N/A

BROWSER TAB, REGULAR PASTE:

WGA Data-->

WgaER Data-->

OGA Data-->

Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 114 Blocked VLK 2

Browser Data-->

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{152FD46A-CD1E-4F14-BE28-4ED9EB98EE80}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-YD4YT</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2211906-00102</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-73586283-299502267-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.               </Manufacturer><Model>Dell DXP051                  </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.               </Manufacturer><Version>A07</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20070108000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>71433B6701847B66</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="OGAAddin.dll" Version="2.0.48.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57689</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="44" Version="11" Result="114"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->

N/A

HWID Data-->

N/A

N/A

OFFICE TAB:

Unicode paste in:

WGA Data-->

WgaER Data-->

OGA Data-->

Browser Data-->

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Licensing Data-->

N/A

HWID Data-->

N/A

N/A

OFFICE TAB, regular paste:

WGA Data-->

WgaER Data-->

OGA Data-->

Browser Data-->

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Licensing Data-->

N/A

HWID Data-->

N/A

Friday, December 11, 2009 3:38 PM
  • December 11, 2009, Part III of III, I hope!  continuation of diagnostics reported above:

(it IS possible that at one time, before I worked for the network engineer of a bank here in Chicago correcting program issues, for which my "payment" was Office 2003, that I had a different Office 2003 installed or Office 2002, which I do not want to, but I could, revert back to...but I fear loss of even more if I do that)...

N/A

NOTIFICATIONS TAB:

Unicode paste:

WGA Data-->

WgaER Data-->

OGA Data-->

Browser Data-->

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Licensing Data-->

N/A

HWID Data-->

N/A

N/A

NOTIFICATIONS TAB, REGULAR PASTE:

WGA Data-->

WgaER Data-->

OGA Data-->

Browser Data-->

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Licensing Data-->

N/A

HWID Data-->

N/A

N/A

WINDOWS TAB

PASTE SPECIAL UNICODE:

WGA Data-->

WgaER Data-->

OGA Data-->

Browser Data-->

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Licensing Data-->

N/A

HWID Data-->

N/A

N/A

REGULAR PASTE:

WGA Data-->

WgaER Data-->

OGA Data-->

Browser Data-->

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Licensing Data-->

N/A

HWID Data-->

N/A

N/A

Thank you, "lu"

Friday, December 11, 2009 3:43 PM
  • Hello louiegirl,

OGA Data-->

The report is telling us that your Dell computer has a nongenuine installation of a Volume Licensing-only edition of Office 2003 Pro.  Your installation was done with a widely pirated and now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK).

Apparently the network engineer who gave you this as "payment" gave you this pirated copy of Office.

You can also review the Office Genuine Advantage FAQ to see if you qualify for the discounted or complimentary replacement program called the Office Genuine Offer: 
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en&sGuid=4ba10af9-ffaa-4cb9-9af4-6aff8a220262#ID0EKNAC

By the way, I sincerely doubt that downloading and installing IE8 from a genuine Microsoft download point gave you the trojan horse infection.  On the other hand, if you downloaded it from somewhere other than Micosoft, then it is entirely possible that malware may have been embedded within the IE8 download.  This is a very common situation.

Friday, December 11, 2009 4:42 PM
  • hi, dan,

oh, i thought of when everything went topsy turvy, really, a horrible ongoing experience.  i had been using IE8 that i had just downloaded from the MS update site.  then i was filling out information about myself for windows live.  that is when i got attacked.  so, i was attacked right here, using IE8.  i reverted back to IE7, but there are security issues with both versions. 

what can i do?  should i uninstall office 2003 and then reinstall it using the other key that i have, which i think is the one that is applicable to the correct volume license, or...? 

i am not interested in using office 2007 because i lost too much time and data (!!!) from june 3, 2009 until when windows xp became corrupted, which was in october 2009, forcing me to a reinstall of windows xp. 

it's really too bad that at this point of time, i don't know which of my mirrored images does NOT have windows xp UNCORRUPTED. 

what a can of worms! 

sincerely, lu
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 3:27 PM
  • Hello louiegirl,

You wrote, "what can i do?  should i uninstall office 2003 and then reinstall it using the other key that i have, which i think is the one that is applicable to the correct volume license, or...?"

Unless your use of a Volume Licensing installation of Office is in association with a business, educational, or governmental organization that properly holds a Volume Licens for Office, any use of a volume licensing installation by an unassociated person would be a nongenuine use of the license.  In such case, reinstalling Office 2003 would not improve your licensing circumstances.

Individual users not eligible for special academic or Home Use Office licenses should be using either retail licenses for Office or OEM licenses for Office.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 3:56 AM
  • good day, dan,

then, what do you suggest that i do?  do you suggest that i change the registry?  do you suggest that i allow an MS engineer to remote control my computer so that the issue can be resolved?  nothing should be wrong with my license, btw. 

have a real nice christmas!

sincerely, lu

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 3:33 PM
  • Hello louiegirl,

Assuming you are not eligible to use a Volume License (individual consumers are not), then you should uninstall the nongenuine Office 2003 and purchase a genuine license for the Office version and edition of your choice.

Of course, since Office 2003 has been superceded since Office 2007 came out, it's going to be difficult to find a genuine copy of Office 2003 to purchase.

And you can always consider using an open source alternative to Office, which is free.

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 3:58 PM