Can't get WHS2011 RC to install. Setup doesn't do a thing...help! RRS feed

• Question

• I have downloaded the RC for WHS2011 twice and for some reason I can't get the setup to run.  doesn't do a thing.

How did you all get it to install?  RUnning out of time before the mid march expiration.

Any help would be great.  I have tried buring the ISO to DVD and using CloneDrive..nothing.

Setup is only 42K and does nothing.  HELP!

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 6:44 PM

Answers

• Well...I am an IDIOT!

I changed to a better keyboard and connected it to the USB port on a card I added a few months back.  I changed the keyboard to the USB on the board and it booted from disk into the install.

I was pressing the key to install from disk but the keyboard was not recognized yet.  WTF...

Thanks for all your help.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 8:36 PM

All replies

• You must be downloading the wrong thing as the setup iso is 4G in
    size.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 6:51 PM
  • I downloaded EN-US_WHS_PREM_InstallDVD which is 4.09G.

The setup.exe doesn't do anything...  I re-downloaded the ISO and still no difference.  I was hoping it was a bad install disk.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 7:11 PM
  • On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 18:44:18 +0000, NHRaider wrote:

I have downloaded the RC for WHS2011 twice and for some reason I can't get the setup to run.? doesn't do a thing.

How did you all get it to install?? RUnning out of time before the mid march expiration.

Any help would be great.? I have tried buring the ISO to DVD and using CloneDrive..nothing.

Setup is only 42K and does nothing.? HELP!

You're not inserting the DVD into an existing OS installation and trying to
    run Setup.exe are you? You need to boot from the DVD to install and you can
    only do a clean install, you can't upgrade from a previous version of WHS
    by running setup.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    CChheecckk yyoouurr dduupplleexx sswwiittcchh..

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 7:12 PM
  •  

I put  DVD into drive..started up the PC...pressed a key to boot from disk...then windows starts up...  doesn't start the install from the disk...

Not sure what is going on with the ISO.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 7:23 PM
  • On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 19:23:27 +0000, NHRaider wrote:

I have tried every way...? Putting DVD into drive..starting up the PC...pressed a key to boot from disk...then windows starts up...? doesn't start the install from the disk...

Are you sure that the computer you're trying to install on is x64 and not
    x86? WHS 2011 only supports x64 computers.
    If you're not sure run this and it will tell you:

http://www.grc.com/files/securable.exe

Paul Adare
    I bet the human brain is a kludge.  -- Marvin Minsky

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 7:29 PM
  • Yes, it is an x64 and I have been running Vail on it for a while now..  I loaded the extention which gets me to March 15, 2011 which is build 7601 which is Service Pack v. 721
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 7:36 PM
  • On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 19:36:21 +0000, NHRaider wrote:

Yes, it is an x64 and I have been running Vail on it for a while now..? I loaded the extention which gets me to March 15, 2011 which is build 7601 which is Service Pack v. 721

Then the only suggestion I have for you is to either try to reburn the ISO
    you've downloaded at a slower speed, or try to download it again, perhaps
    the original is corrupt.

Paul Adare
    I must have slipped a disk; my pack hurts.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 7:39 PM
  • I downloaded the ISO from Microsoft Connect twice...so I know it isn't a download issue.  I assume others have installed this RC so I can assume it isn't that issue.

I will reburn another DVD...I was using 2.4x w/ ImgBurn.

Thanks for the help. 

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 7:41 PM
  • I would just stick with windows image burner.  Never had any problems as long as that is whats used.
    D.W.
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 8:02 PM
  • Well...I just reburned a DVD using ImgBurn @ 1x and got the same issue.  Start PC and it gets to press any key to load from Disc and it just loads up OS without installing new RC.

I am at a loss here.  Any other suggestions?

I am currently running Vail Build 7601 (7601.17105.100929-1730-3_Update_Sp_Wave1-RC1SP1.1_DVD)

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 8:03 PM
  • Well...I just reburned a DVD using ImgBurn @ 1x and got the same issue.  Start PC and it gets to press any key to load from Disc and it just loads up OS without installing new RC.

I am at a loss here.  Any other suggestions?

I am currently running Vail Build 7601 (7601.17105.100929-1730-3_Update_Sp_Wave1-RC1SP1.1_DVD)

Try downloading this tool and burning it to a usb drive and try it that way.  This is a tool from the microsoft store that allows you to write ISO's to either a usb stick, or dvd.  Maybe you will have better luck than what you are using now.  Here is the download link again.

http://download.cnet.com/Windows-7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool/3000-18513_4-10972600.html

D.W.
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 8:19 PM
  • Well...I am an IDIOT!

I changed to a better keyboard and connected it to the USB port on a card I added a few months back.  I changed the keyboard to the USB on the board and it booted from disk into the install.

I was pressing the key to install from disk but the keyboard was not recognized yet.  WTF...

Thanks for all your help.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 8:36 PM
  • >I would just stick with windows image burner.  Never had any problems as long as that is whats used.

I use imgburn all the time and it does a great job...

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 9:55 PM
  • +1

--
    Don
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:53 AM