Installation issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm not exactly sure what I did, but something is a little off.

I am in the midst of upgrading with Vista for the past six weeks.  First I updated it to  Home Premium from my XP.  I subscribed to one care under that computername, let's call it Computer Name A.

Next, I wasn't happy with an upgrade type install, so I re-installed Vista Home Premium with a fresh install and re-installed one care.  let's call that Computer Name B.

I recently got Windows Vista Ultimate, I did a regular upgrade, and it was named, Computer Name B, at first, but this led me to have two computers subscribed to One Care under Computer name B.

After some juggling with the Computer Names, I got this computer to be Computer Name C.  Computer Names B and A were in my one care circle.

One care appears to be doing it's thing now, and I believe I reset my circle to just Computer Name C.  But when I try interacting with the icon near the clock, it will not launch. I can only launch the program from the start menu.  If I can get it to launch from there and ensure that Computer Name A and Computer Name B are fully removed from the circle, it would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

John.

Thursday, May 1, 2008 9:50 AM

Answers

• Hi Steve,

Not sure, but I think this has resolved itself.  Later in the morning, I rebooted it and then it appeared to have reset.  Then it worked ok from the icon of my Administrator log-on.  I didn't get a chance to try it for my user clearance log-on that I'm trying to run everything from.

Thanks for replying,

John.

Thursday, May 1, 2008 2:04 PM

All replies

• There's two issues in your post, John.

1. The old computer names showing in your Circle due to the OS changes and re-activation of OneCare under different computer names is one. Removing the defunct ghost entries from the Circle is optional at this point, since they are ghosts. If, when you open OneCare, and manage your Circle (assuming you made this PC a hub PC already) the other PC names are not shown, they've been removed.

2. OneCare isn't launching when you double click the OneCare system tray icon, but it *does* launch when your click it on the Start menu would be the second issue. Can you right click the OneCare icon in the system tray? Does a menu pop that offers "open Windows Live OneCare?"

-steve

Thursday, May 1, 2008 12:41 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Not sure, but I think this has resolved itself.  Later in the morning, I rebooted it and then it appeared to have reset.  Then it worked ok from the icon of my Administrator log-on.  I didn't get a chance to try it for my user clearance log-on that I'm trying to run everything from.

Thanks for replying,

John.

Thursday, May 1, 2008 2:04 PM
  • Glad to read that it is resolved, John.

Rebooting is probably a good thing to do when things don't behave as they should. My guess is that there was a problem with the service hosting the System Tray icons.

-steve

Thursday, May 1, 2008 2:52 PM