What a mess - OEM installation nightmare RRS feed

• Question

• On or about December 30, 2009 I had an unused computer and I wanted to use it for WHS.  The computer was a Dell Dimension 1550.  I paid to upgrade the memory to 2 GB.  It worked great, but the disk was almost out of space right away.  I have 4 computers in my house, 3 are laptops that belong to teens.  The backups of 4 computers took up most of the space.

I know a little about computers but not enough.

I bought a hard drive but it was a SATA drive.  I had to also buy a PCI Ultra ATA / Serial SATA Combo Controller Card.  It is also a VIA whatever that is.  I install all of this and WHS sees everything right away and boom!  I have a lot of HD space in the server.

This has been running great but the end of the 120 day trial is almost here.

I located a store here in Houston that sells WHS OEM.  I really did not understand anything about the PowerPacks.  I just knew the trial version worked great so I bought it.

Problem 1 -  I booted from the DVD drive and chose to reinstall server.  The process stopped and gave a failure message at the very end of the last step.  However I restarted and was able to get to the WHS control panel.  The original HD was working, but next to the second drive (the new SATA drive) WHS listed it as missing.  I re-installed the driver for the Controller Card and that seemed to solve the problem.  However everytime the sever is rebooted I am forced into the WHS Setup Wizard. I get the message that WHS setup needs to finish for the home server to function properly. If I pick cancel (which is not a choice) I will need to run setup again.  Screen shot of this is at http://www.screencast.com/t/NzRlZjkz .  I click NO and nothing happens so eventually I pick Yes.  WHS seems to be running OK except that the setup wizard will not go away from my reboots.

Problem 2 -  I guess I am now only on PowerPack 1 because the disk I bought last week were from 2007.  I thought I had no choice since my days were running out.  I have run windows updates several times.  I can look on my Uninstall Software screen and see some evidence that PP2 is on my computer but WHS console say I have PP1.    How can I get to the right PP?

Thanks for reading this far!

I called Microsoft.  They want me to pay $60 for support, but I just paid $100 for the product.  Shouldn't I get some type of support?  They say it is OEM so NO SUPPORT.  I am sure it is in the fine print.  But what other choice do I have?  Is there a non OEM version?  Why did they make me tear up my perfectly good WHS?

Thursday, March 25, 2010 1:44 AM

Answers

• You have a couple of misconceptions. OEM/system builder software means that the assembler (the "system builder" or OEM) is the source of free support for the software. Calling Microsoft is something that the OEM will do, if needed, not the end user. As the installer, you are the "system builder". So that's why Microsoft charges you for support.

The software you originally installed was evaluation software, and it has a time bomb built in to prevent people from running if forever. That time bomb is why you have to reinstall to get a full version. For the reinstallation, you should take a look at this FAQ ; it points out that you will need your drivers in advance of the reinstallation to get everything integrated properly. That's the most likely source of your current issue.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by greg544 Saturday, March 27, 2010 1:10 PM
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 2:08 AM
  • Hi Greg,

I understand it can be frustrating but the retailer should have had Windows Home Server labeled as OEM - though don't worry you'll get good support here in this forum.

One thing you might have done was not have all your hard drives connected when you did the server recovery.  If so you might want to save off any important data from your server now and try a server recovery again, or just start from the beginning with a fresh install.

The current power pack version is PP3 - not to be confused with SP2 (service pack 2).   You will need to keep on hitting Windows Update and a few reboots before it will come down but from a clean install there should be no reason why you don't get there in a few hours.

If you have any other questions before you 'go for it' please do ask.

Cheers,
    Al

--
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 10:57 AM
  • Between, if you really have the version 2007, this is the original version without any Power Pack and needs to be upgraded immediatly after installation, best before adding any clients.

The current version number in the console under Settings/Resources is 2423, Power Pack 1 would show up as 1800.

Eventually it might make sense to install the server to a clean disk (while the old drives are disconnected from controller) and add the data manually back as described in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure after the server is upgraded.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:35 PM

All replies

• You have a couple of misconceptions. OEM/system builder software means that the assembler (the "system builder" or OEM) is the source of free support for the software. Calling Microsoft is something that the OEM will do, if needed, not the end user. As the installer, you are the "system builder". So that's why Microsoft charges you for support.

The software you originally installed was evaluation software, and it has a time bomb built in to prevent people from running if forever. That time bomb is why you have to reinstall to get a full version. For the reinstallation, you should take a look at this FAQ ; it points out that you will need your drivers in advance of the reinstallation to get everything integrated properly. That's the most likely source of your current issue.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 2:08 AM
  • Hi Greg,

I understand it can be frustrating but the retailer should have had Windows Home Server labeled as OEM - though don't worry you'll get good support here in this forum.

One thing you might have done was not have all your hard drives connected when you did the server recovery.  If so you might want to save off any important data from your server now and try a server recovery again, or just start from the beginning with a fresh install.

The current power pack version is PP3 - not to be confused with SP2 (service pack 2).   You will need to keep on hitting Windows Update and a few reboots before it will come down but from a clean install there should be no reason why you don't get there in a few hours.

If you have any other questions before you 'go for it' please do ask.

Cheers,
    Al

--
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 10:57 AM
  • Between, if you really have the version 2007, this is the original version without any Power Pack and needs to be upgraded immediatly after installation, best before adding any clients.

The current version number in the console under Settings/Resources is 2423, Power Pack 1 would show up as 1800.

Eventually it might make sense to install the server to a clean disk (while the old drives are disconnected from controller) and add the data manually back as described in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure after the server is upgraded.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:35 PM
  • Thanks for these replies.  I am going to try again this weekend.
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 1:09 PM