locked
Connector goes offline after few days RRS feed

  • Question

  • My WHS 2011 works, then after a few days of successful backups one or more clients goes offline, never to return online. The only fix I've found is uninstalling and reinstalling the connector as it happens on each client.

    There's no network problem between the clients and the server - I can Remote Desktop to the server from the client, and to the client from the server. The Dashboard works fine on the client and on the server. LaunchPad will not open on the client - it says "The server appears to be offline...", which is nonsense!

    I've searched, and nothing helps. Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this and how to fix?

    Saturday, October 1, 2011 4:43 PM

All replies

  • I have seen others reporting similar issues. Not sure what this is...
    Would you please report this problem to Microsoft Connect? If possible add client an server log files to your report.
    This will enable MS to have a look at this problem.

    Posting your feedback ID in this thread for others to vote for it would also be helpful.
    Thanks,

    - Theo.


    No home server like Home Server
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 10:14 PM
  • OK, working on that.

    I have feedback on the feedback page: The link to the logging instructions is wrong. I had to go spelunking for the correct link:

    http://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=36880

    Sunday, October 2, 2011 4:19 PM
  • I posted feedback ID 694043, feel free to vote it up if you are seeing the same problem:

    https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/694043/connector-goes-offline-after-few-days

    I included a full set of logs (just had to wait a few days, and sure enough it reproduced).

    In the meantime I'm open to any ideas of things to try...

    • Edited by imabanana Monday, October 10, 2011 1:20 AM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 1:19 AM
  • Well I figured something out, thanks to cadprofessor's post in this thread (sorry there's no way to point at individual posts in these forums):

    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/thread/509be95f-c21e-420d-ae59-57f2d6c6514c

    The Windows Server Health Service and the Windows Server Client Computer Backup Provider Service were not running on the clients which had gone offline.

    At least now I can manually restart them when backups stop every few days, instead of un-installing and re-installing clients.

    I've had no response from Microsoft on the issue I filed, so I added this information. Hopefully the fix is easy for them.

    Friday, October 28, 2011 2:09 PM
  • There seems to be another issue that I have on the server itself.  This seems to have started in the past four weeks.  Several of the services on the server side are being turned off which prevents the dashboard from connecting to the server.  The services are:

    1. The Windows Server Addins Infrastructure Service

    2. The Windows Server Server Backup Service

    3. The Windows Server Identity Management Service

    You can start number one and two but when you start number three it will stop service one and two.  Wonderful cycle.

    Friday, October 28, 2011 2:47 PM