Forum not refreshing when you've answered a post RRS feed

Answers

• romh said:

Just now I had to refresh a page 3 times to get my reply in a thread displayed. Do you, guys, use some kind of caching mechanism that's too lazy?

Yes, we use caching. In the current setup, it should take up to about 30 seconds for a new thread/post to appear on all servers.

For the user doing the posting, Sticky is in place and they should be directed to the same web server, whose cache is expired immediately for that thread. It seems however that the update request may not always stick and therein lies the problem.

In the next release which should be live sometime Tuesday, we return the new post as part of the submit call so it'll always show up immediately. We also have some other caching tweaks in place to better expire things.

Keep an eye out for the new release and let us know if you encounter any other strangeness.

Rob J, Forums Dev
    Sunday, May 25, 2008 10:41 PM
  • I've made a change which should help with this issue. It's currently being tested and should go live with our next release in a few weeks.

Rob J, Forums Dev
    Monday, May 5, 2008 9:12 PM

All replies

•  Giving reply a try to see if it shows up.

Edit:
    It showed up immediately for me. Can you give more details, repro steps, browser/platform.

Thanks!

Rob J, Forums Dev
    Wednesday, April 23, 2008 2:47 AM
  • It happens quite often in the Expression Web forum.
    When you submit a reply, it doesn't show at the bottom of the thread.
    You have to go back to the forum and then either click preview or click the header to list the answers to see your latest reply.

FrontPage MVP
    Wednesday, April 23, 2008 1:20 PM
  • Which it just did right now when I clicked submit.
    The answer did not appear.

FrontPage MVP
    Wednesday, April 23, 2008 1:20 PM
  • Ian Haynes said:

I'm finding that the forums aren't refreshing when I've replied to a post. I have to manually refresh the page.

This has only started in the last couple of days.

Ian

http://www.ew-resource.co.uk/
    http://www.fp-resource.co.uk/

Ian Haynes

Thanks for reporting this issue.  I have seen this also occur and will be addressing this issue with the product team.  I'll get back to you on this.

Thanks!
    Alicia
    Program Manager, Sustained Engineering Team
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 7:20 PM
  • I just noticed this too. I editted my message and had to do a manually refresh before it appeared. After I edited my message for the second time the page refreshed automatically and displayed the new message.
    Friday, April 25, 2008 7:32 AM
  • I've made a change which should help with this issue. It's currently being tested and should go live with our next release in a few weeks.

Rob J, Forums Dev
    Monday, May 5, 2008 9:12 PM
  • I don't know if it helps anyone, but I just wanted to say that I have so far posted two posts here, and one of them did not show up aftwerwards. I'll press Submit now and see if this makes 2/3 working or 2/3 broken :)

EDIT> This worked! So it's just sometimes the page doesn't refresh. Thank you for fixing this bug!

Regards, Simeon
    • Edited by azoapes Thursday, May 15, 2008 10:04 AM Update
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 10:03 AM
  • azoapes said:

Thank you for fixing this bug!

This bug hasn't been fixed, but maybe you gratitude will cheer up the developers :)

I often have to refresh the page to see my replies, and sometimes I have to do this more than once.

Overall, the forums behave in a very annoying way, e.g. changing content with flickering (or would flashing be a more appropriate word?). This is in addition to what I've reported before -- UI elements overlapping each other when font size is increased. Feels very messy... not a way to promote to MS products.
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 7:13 PM
  • Yes, the version containing this fix has not yet gone live. It's currently going through test, if all goes well it should be released in about a week.

romh said:

Overall, the forums behave in a very annoying way, e.g. changing content with flickering (or would flashing be a more appropriate word?). This is in addition to what I've reported before -- UI elements overlapping each other when font size is increased. Feels very messy... not a way to promote to MS products.

Flash/flicker, I see this more with Firefox that I do with IE. What browser are you using? As we start wrapping up much of the core functinality and features over the next few releases, we'll hopefully be able to spend more time smoothing out some of the UI stuff. Better transitions, less abrupt changes, more UI feedback/acknowledgement and so on.

Also, what font size are you upping to, and what are you seeing overlap? I think we are pretty good to Largest(IE)/(ctrl-+) * 2(FF), after that a few things start to break out in the header.

Rob J, Forums Dev
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 8:00 PM
  • Two areas where things overlap: the button labels on the top and the Post Options block. The labels actually don't overlap but get out of their containers, and the Post Options block overlap the "composer area". The first one just looks bad, but the second one creates difficulty when entering a message.

I use Firefox 3 beta. You should know, by the way, that the zoom steps are configurable in Firefox, and I get to factor of 2, which is 6 ctrl-+ for me, to read your forum pages comfortably. Your default font size is too small. I consider your font size policy disrespectful of users because it assumes the default size isn't what the user wants. The largest font in IE is too small for me (on your forums). My suggestion to forums devs is to not assume too much. A good assumption about font size is that the user's default font size is a good one for that user. So, just use 100%.

You currently set font-size for the body at 62.5%. How have you arrived at this number? Why not 37.34%? Or better yet, why not 100% (of the user's default, mind you!)?
    • Edited by romh0 Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:20 AM added something
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:10 AM
  • romh said:

I often have to refresh the page to see my replies, and sometimes I have to do this more than once.

Just now I had to refresh a page 3 times to get my reply in a thread displayed. Do you, guys, use some kind of caching mechanism that's too lazy?

Sunday, May 25, 2008 7:50 PM
  • romh said:

Yes, we use caching. In the current setup, it should take up to about 30 seconds for a new thread/post to appear on all servers.

For the user doing the posting, Sticky is in place and they should be directed to the same web server, whose cache is expired immediately for that thread. It seems however that the update request may not always stick and therein lies the problem.

In the next release which should be live sometime Tuesday, we return the new post as part of the submit call so it'll always show up immediately. We also have some other caching tweaks in place to better expire things.

Keep an eye out for the new release and let us know if you encounter any other strangeness.

Rob J, Forums Dev
    Sunday, May 25, 2008 10:41 PM