OneCare Firewall On, but HP Total Care Advisor shows firewall off RRS feed

• Question

• Stephen Boots - I'd like your input on this.

I'm having the same problem posting in this thread - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2085718&SiteID=2

While my OneCare icon is green and I know I'm protected, I'm irritated seeing that HP Total Care Advisor window showing that I need to enable the firewall.

Can you tell me if the solution posted by Aiscer is definitely what I would need to do if I want HP Total Care Advisor to show that the firewall is on.

Thanks!!

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 10:37 PM

Answers

• Stephen, thanks for your input.

I tried the solution Aiscer recommended, but it didn't work. Got on the phone with tech support from Microsoft Live OneCare AND HP and the final word is as long as my OneCare icon in the system tray in green, then, I'm protected and I should just ignore the warning I get from the HP Total Care Advisor.

One Care disables the Windows firewall, but somehow it's just communicated between the two programs. I'll just have to get a grip on my OCD and just accept there's a warning on the HP Advisor and ignore it. Smile

Thanks again for your quick response.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 5:08 PM

All replies

• Since the original poster of the problem never returned to tell us that it worked, I'd say that it would not hurt to try. Typically, that solution is used when the Windows Security Center advises that there is no firewall or antivirus active when there is indeed a 3rd party product performing those services. The problem is with the WMI database that Aiscer mentions. If the HP Total Care Advisor replaces Windows Security Center, but uses the same database, then the fix should work.

On the other hand, if you have the option to disable the Total Care Advisor warning and let the OneCare icon warn you of a security issue, that would also work.

-steve

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 2:03 AM
  • Stephen, thanks for your input.

I tried the solution Aiscer recommended, but it didn't work. Got on the phone with tech support from Microsoft Live OneCare AND HP and the final word is as long as my OneCare icon in the system tray in green, then, I'm protected and I should just ignore the warning I get from the HP Total Care Advisor.

One Care disables the Windows firewall, but somehow it's just communicated between the two programs. I'll just have to get a grip on my OCD and just accept there's a warning on the HP Advisor and ignore it. Smile

Thanks again for your quick response.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 5:08 PM
  • You're welcome and thanks for the follow-up with support. If there is an option in the HP software to turn off the warnings, that's what I would do.

-steve

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 6:20 PM