none
Upgrading to Windows 10

Question

• I kept getting the window pop up to upgrade to windows 10 and I decided to do it. I had windows 7 on a Toshiba not to old.  It said it was compatible and all that. I have a lot of file folders on my desktop for business and now everything is gone and I have tried to look in all I can find and they are all empty. I am freaking.
    • Moved by Just KarlModerator Monday, January 25, 2016 3:27 PM Looking for the correct forum.
    Monday, January 18, 2016 6:34 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I'd ask in the Windows 10 forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion'

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Monday, January 25, 2016 3:27 PM

All replies

• First of all, you should always backup your files before you make any major changes to your PC. Thumb drives are not expensive. You can also buy an inexpensive external USB drive and use the backup software in Windows or use a free application like Veeam Endpoint backup that will create a backup Image and file level backup of your PC all in one backup.

Now to help find your files.

Look to see if you have a folder on your C drive called C:\Windows.old folder

Also try looking at your local PC, C:\users\*** and search all of those folders to see if you can find your data.

Some people have also said that after several reboots, their data folders and files appeared back where they were prior to the upgrade. Good luck!

Larry King MCTS

Monday, January 18, 2016 6:44 PM
  • Hello,

The TechNet Wiki Discussion Forum is a place for the TechNet Wiki Community to engage, question, organize, debate, help, influence and foster the TechNet Wiki content, platform and Community.

Please note that this forum exists to discuss TechNet Wiki as a technology/application.

As it's off-topic here, I am moving the question to the Where is the forum for... forum.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Monday, January 25, 2016 3:23 PM
  • Hello,

I'd ask in the Windows 10 forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion'

Karl

Monday, January 25, 2016 3:27 PM