Live not following non-www 301 redirects? RRS feed

• Question

• We have implemented non-www to www redirect about one month ago. It's a 301 redirect and using the various online tools can also verify that it was done correctly and is search engine friendly. Live has been visiting and getting new cache of our homepage every 2 days on average (last cache dated 31/12/2007), but still the non-www version of the homepage is indexed only, while other www web pages seem to have no homepage associated with them still.

Example:

Homepage - DOMAIN.COM (no idea why in capital too)
    Other pages - www.domain.com/files (looking for site:www.domain.com can see no homepage)

Is this a known bug? Or there is something that can be done to fix this issue.

Thanks a lot
    Wednesday, January 2, 2008 3:18 PM

Answers

• Yes, Unfortunatly this is a known issue.  I am looking into work arounds, but I don't have any advice today for you.

Jeremiah

Thursday, January 3, 2008 10:57 PM

All replies

• Yes, Unfortunatly this is a known issue.  I am looking into work arounds, but I don't have any advice today for you.

Jeremiah

Thursday, January 3, 2008 10:57 PM
  • I read on another thread I think, that a 302 redirect instead will solve this matter temporarly, or am I mistaken? We did infact change from a 301 to 302 yesterday. Since beg of Dec '07 we lost ranking for all www web pages in search results. Our site is www.file-extension.com will be glad if you can have a look at it.

Best regards and thanks a lot.

Friday, January 4, 2008 8:22 AM
  • Sorry to disturb again ... I simply want to confirm that a 302 redirect from non www to www can solve the current issue with our website? We have over 15k web pages and only the non www homepage is being indexed every other day at the moment (even yesterday and no change). Thanks.

Saturday, January 5, 2008 1:15 PM
  • After a break of one month, seems a number of webpages have been visited again, such as www.file-extension.com/files/PDF, etc. Having said that only our (non-www) homepage FILE-EXTENSION.COM is still appearing in serps for practically every keyword I search for and no sign of our www.webpages, which used to rank very good till a month ago.

Monday, January 7, 2008 1:12 PM
  • Any progress about this matter?
    Thanks for your help.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 8:44 AM
  • Hmm, it seems we are loosing from index couple www.webpages daily (have over 150 atm) and still nowhere to be ranked. Only (non-www) HOMEPAGE.COM still showing occasionally

Strange matter too, when I check webmaster tools, one of our main Top Backlinks is our non-www homepage ... this normal?
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 8:04 AM
  •  

I thought redirects were very bad for indexing/SEO purposes and should be not done if possible. Or least not redirect with served pages and do it at the provider.
    Monday, January 28, 2008 1:07 PM
  • It's 301 redirect from non-www to www. As far as I know, search engines in theory can threat both as different, unless otherwise instructed, even if same website.

Problem is that live.com indexed our homepage as FILE-EXTENSION.COM (without www) and rest of pages with www. It's also clear that they are treated as different websites (although same) in Live Search.

To make it worst, it seems Live still have problems with redirects, changed to 302 as instructed ... still no improvement ;(

In Live's help still says to use 301 redirect to-date ... hmm
    Monday, January 28, 2008 4:32 PM
  •  

I saw some messages around the web since 2005...

So, these issues of prefered domain and 301 redirect are pending since 3 years ??? Sad

Could someone please point me to some authentic statement from Microsoft's search team about this?

Friday, September 5, 2008 6:49 AM