Windows Home Server backup issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows Home Server (2003) running on an Intel-based Server box with 3 hard drives. Backups for all 9 PCs have been working perfectly for over a year. I have had to restore a couple of times and it worked great. A few days ago it started givng an error saying the backup service was not running. I restarted the service manually but as soon as I go into the WHS Console, it stops again and I have no access to any previous backups, and it shows that all PCs are offline. I have run a chkdsk on the the server drives but it did not come up with anything. At first I thought it was because overall disk space was getting low but I removed some unneeded folders (not from WHS backups) and it has over 150Gb free, but it did not help. Is it possible the whsbackup.exe file is damaged and if so, how would I replace just that file without re-installing?

Thanks!

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 11:20 PM

All replies

• When I had this same problem, I had to delete all of my backup files, reboot the computer (server), waited for the next scheduled backup, problem solved.

If you want a backup you'll never lose..........I really don't think there is one.

Cruise

Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:08 PM
  • Thanks Cruiseman,

Yes, I was half-expecting that.... It bseems like its the backup executable that's damaged because each time I restart the Service, it seems to run for a few seconds then errors out. I've rebuilt the backup database too. I did just notice that one of the drives has started developing bad sectors so I think this might be the root cause.

I think I'm going to have to backup what I can (non-backup folders) to an external drive and then blow away WHS and reinstall from scratch - bummer. Unless you have any other ideas on how to fix just the damaged whsbackup.exe file, maybe?

Thanks,

Laurence

Laurence Parsons
    • Proposed as answer by generious3 Sunday, May 15, 2011 10:30 AM
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 3:31 PM
  • what"s wrong with my pc ? picture getting blur n blur untill can no see ?what should i do?
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 10:34 AM