backing up to NAS when logged off RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to schedule a backup to my NAS late at night, but when I check the log in morning it claims that it could not access the drive.

If I initiate the backup manually when logged on, everything works fine.

I am guessing that when I am logged off, onecare runs the backup under a different user, and this user doesn't have rights to my backup folder on my NAS (a Thecus N3200).

I've tried looking through my services and scheduled tasks for something "onecare" related but have come up dry.   Any suggestions / ideas?

thx

-Sheldon
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 10:23 AM

Answers

• A user must be logged on when backing up to a network location with OneCare backup.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 6:13 PM

All replies

• Is the computer turned off or log off during the backup scheduled time?
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 4:50 PM
  • A user must be logged on when backing up to a network location with OneCare backup.
    -steve
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 6:13 PM
  • Thanks Steve,

Not exactly the answer I was hoping for, but at least I know.

So just to confirm, there is no way of scripting the backup?   You have to physically be logged on, and manually initiate it.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 9:55 PM
  • The computer is turned on (it turns itself on using a BIOS alarm configuration, as does the NAS), but no, noone is logged on.

I had assumed that the backup would trigger automatically, whether a user was logged in or not. 
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 9:59 PM
  • The backup will run automatically, but you must be logged on. If you log off the PC and leave it powered on, it won't run.
    So, if your backup is scheduled to run overnight, simply lock the PC as opposed to logging off. If you log off, the network drive can't be accessed.
    -steve

Thursday, April 9, 2009 12:49 PM