write back caching on hard drives RRS feed

• Question

• has anyone experimented with performance settings on hard drives on WHS?

I initially was looking through the USB settings and noticed that my USB drive was still set to the default "optimize for quick removal" instead of the performance option. (haven't checked Connect yet to see if this is bugged / suggested)

There's also a setting that can be changed for more aggressive write-back caching on internal hard drives.  I haven't messed with that setting since I don't yet have the WHS machine on a UPS and I really don't want to mess with corrupted files on top of beta code.

Anyone have any experiences to share?  I'd think these settings could reduce the I/O load that Drive Extender is putting on the system - especially for USB drives.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 4:48 PM

All replies

• HDD has:

Look ahead cache and write back cache (physically - on it, hardware).

there is "Aqustic managment" 0 - 255 , speed slower - faster (up to 15%).

Now - software. Always use write backng cache

and if only you have UPS (ulternative power source - Apc, Power com 800W - for example) - use advanced performance.

For WHS speed - I recommend:

small SATA hdd (for example 80 gbt 8 mbt cache) - for WHS and no MEDIA.

and other hdds on other controllers - for media files.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 10:39 PM
  • I was looking more for real-world experience with enabling caching on WHS.  I understand what is capable, just not whether it is a) recommended / supported and b) will actually provide performance based on the way that Drive Extender functions.

as an aside, I had a real hard time deciphering your response. 

Friday, March 16, 2007 3:57 PM
  • My opinion is that, for a server, write caching isn't worth the performance increase. The whole point of WHS is to protect your data. Write caching trades some of that safety off for increased write speed.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 10:58 PM