Unknown pc shows up in my OneCare circle within 12 hours after hub install! RRS feed

• Question

• Run on Vista. What more should I say.

Thursday, December 6, 2007 12:11 PM

Answers

• Had you previously installed OneCare on this PC or another PC using the same LiveID for activation? If so, that phantom may be leftover on the servers. The 12 hour time-frame seems to indicate that the servers are sending data about this PC to your Hub, but that no communication from the phantom has occurred for a while. Can you use the option to "remove this PC" when you expand the information for that PC using the drop down arrow? Only use this if you can also see the other PCs in your Circle on the list because using that option will cause OneCare to become de-activated on the PC if it is an active PC.

-steve

Thursday, December 6, 2007 6:24 PM
  • Yes, in that by removing it from your Circle in OneCare, you deactivated it. When that PC connects and learns that it no longer belongs to your subscription it will become expired. In order to put OneCare back into your subscription it will be need to be uninstalled and reinstalled on that PC. If you don't want to have that PC be part of your subscription, your friend will need to uninstall OneCare and reinstall it and activate with their own subscription or use different security on it. At the moment, it is secure in that OneCare is on it, but your friend will not be able to configure it, run a Tune-up or backup, and eventually I believe OneCare will stop updating itself.

-steve

Friday, December 7, 2007 7:57 PM

All replies

• Had you previously installed OneCare on this PC or another PC using the same LiveID for activation? If so, that phantom may be leftover on the servers. The 12 hour time-frame seems to indicate that the servers are sending data about this PC to your Hub, but that no communication from the phantom has occurred for a while. Can you use the option to "remove this PC" when you expand the information for that PC using the drop down arrow? Only use this if you can also see the other PCs in your Circle on the list because using that option will cause OneCare to become de-activated on the PC if it is an active PC.

-steve

Thursday, December 6, 2007 6:24 PM
  • Yes, I had previously installed OneCare on the hub pc and another pc. However, the name of the other pc is completely unknown to me. Yes, I was able to remove the pc from the list.

-Joscelin

Thursday, December 6, 2007 6:30 PM
  • Check the computer name under properties for both of your PCs. If neither matches the name that you saw, I'll chalk it up to a strange server glitch and am glad that it has been resolved by your action.

-steve

Friday, December 7, 2007 5:58 PM
  • Steve,

Sorry, just recalled that it is an old pc of mine which is now with a friend. Does the fact that I removed it from my OneCare circle in any way affect the security of that pc?

Thanks, Joscelin

Friday, December 7, 2007 6:07 PM
  • Yes, in that by removing it from your Circle in OneCare, you deactivated it. When that PC connects and learns that it no longer belongs to your subscription it will become expired. In order to put OneCare back into your subscription it will be need to be uninstalled and reinstalled on that PC. If you don't want to have that PC be part of your subscription, your friend will need to uninstall OneCare and reinstall it and activate with their own subscription or use different security on it. At the moment, it is secure in that OneCare is on it, but your friend will not be able to configure it, run a Tune-up or backup, and eventually I believe OneCare will stop updating itself.

-steve

Friday, December 7, 2007 7:57 PM