Backup 'fails' because USB drive was removed from client PC RRS feed

• Question

• I have a bit of an unusual situation here. I just 'refreshed' my PC. That is to say, got a new PC so before trashing the old one, I got all my data unto a USB HD.

Then I plugged this into my new PC and transferred all my data. So far so good.

Next, I installed the WHS monitor on the new PC, added it to the HS pool and started a backup. Here I carefully selected to only backup my C & D partitions (new PC), and deselected the two partitions on the USB drive. So far so good.

But since I'm done transferring data from the external USB, I unplugged it and stored it away.

The problem is that all my daily backups have 'incomplete/failed' since then, saying that the backup for (Local Disk / Local Disk) FAILED (Location: Missing). The the Computers & Backup summary page shows this PC as "Not backups in the last 26 days". Yet each one of them backed up ok my C/D partitions.

I've tried 'removing' the non existing partitions without success. I even went to the extent of removing the PC from the HS pool and re-installing the monitor & re-adding the PC to the pool WITHOUT any USB HD plugged in.

Can someone please help me solve this issue?

Thanks!

-JC

• Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Tuesday, September 14, 2010 4:46 PM software question (From:Windows Home Server Hardware and Installation)
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:34 PM

Answers

• You will need to reconfigure backups for that PC, choosing to not back up the USB drive.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 4:45 PM

All replies

• You will need to reconfigure backups for that PC, choosing to not back up the USB drive.
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 4:45 PM
  • That is exactly what I had done... I had select to configure, the HS browses the client PC, a couple of notices "volume not available for backup" (one for each of the USB partitions) show up, I dismiss them, and along comes up a table with 4 Partitions. C/D are checked ON, F/G are unchecked (status is "Not Connected"). I then proceed to the "Congratulations!" summary page, which shows 'Number of volumes to backup: 2' & hit DONE. Somehow it didn't work. Then I went as far as removing and re-adding the client PC.

But based on your recommendation I just tried it again, and this time it worked!

Go figure.

Thanks.

JC

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 7:20 PM
  • I would bet actual money to the sum of (looks in pocket) 31¢ that you looked at the list of drives and, the first time (when it "didn't work") hit "Cancel". I've done similar often enough myself. :)
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 7:50 PM