OneCare Backup Configuration Fails RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've recently installed OneCare and I'm trying to configure the backup portion (either by switching it off completely, or setting up a backup - anything to get a green icon!).

No matter what I do, I always end up with the following message:

Failed to save the configuration.
    OneCare could not save the configuration because of unknown problems.
    Please try again later.

At first I thought it may have been some permissions issue on the backup folder OneCare was creating, but I've since tried to turn the backup off for my PC and not set-up a centralized backup, and I still get the same error.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thursday, April 9, 2009 11:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• I suggest uninstalling One Care, run the install cleanup tool - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/399071e2-49dc-4767-932d-d261e3965943 then reinstall One Care. If the issue persists please contact support. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Friday, April 10, 2009 12:35 AM
  • The first thing that I would do is reboot the PC. The error is due to the inability to authenticate to the OneCare servers when saving the backup plan. it may have been a temporary LiveID issue (there was a problem reported last night) and it may be fine on attempting today. If the problem persists, please contact support.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, April 10, 2009 12:08 PM
  • How do you change the configuration back to central device (away from network config) in the config window my settings only show the network option... I am trying to change it back to a central device
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 7:19 AM
  • If you configured backup for a single PC and are using a network location, but wish now to configure centralized backup for multiple PCs from a hub PC, disable backup on the PC per the instructions in the first part of the post Jim referred to which explains how to reset the backup plan. Then, on the Hub PC, configure Centralized backup.
    If you mean that you want to change your backup plan for a single PC from using any location to another device or location, reset the plan per those same instructions. If you are not seeing the option for an external drive in the devices list, then the drive is not supported or there is a problem with the drive.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 12:53 PM