Adding the baseline (tracking) columns to the Approval Center view RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone found a way to add the baseline (tracking) columns to the Project Server 2010 Approval Center view? 

Those fields do not seem to be available to add to the view through Configure Columns (in the view).

The Approval Center view (and thus, those fields) does not seem to be available to edit/modify through Server Settings/Look and Feel/Manage Views either, so it can't be added to any Categories or modified.

It seems like a PM would want to know/view the baseline values when reviewing and approving updates, to see any significant variances. It also seems like you should be able to customize what columns are in the Approval Center view.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Kevin Williamson, MCTS, PMP Senior Advisor Advisicon
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 12:12 AM

Answers

All replies

• Kevin:

As you note, Microsoft has not provided us a way to customize this view. For project mangers who actually scrutinize their approvals and want more information, I've found it best to advise people to approve their updates using the Project Client, rather than PWA.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 12:59 PM
  • After puzzling over this question, and trying the approaches suggested in the replies, our team at Advisicon has identified a method for viewing that information quickly and easily, without leaving PWA. See our approach at: http://www.advisiconblog.com/

Kevin Williamson, MCTS, PMP Senior Advisor Advisicon
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 9:47 PM
  • Kevin --

That's a nice solution, and pretty simple as well.  Obviously the key is to train project managers how to use the Preview Updates feature.  Thanks for sharing.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Thursday, September 2, 2010 2:17 AM
  • Kevin,

Reviewed your method viewing the info; and sounds great/simple.  However on our 2010 it appears that the Tasks Tracking view is NOT the view used in Approval Center > Preview Updates but instead is associated with viewing a schedule via Project Center.  After inspecting the columns that display in Approval Center these do not match up with the 'Tracking Tasks' view configuration. 

We are using Tasks (not timesheets) in case this matters.

Any other suggestions on which view may be used / updated in Preview Updates?

Thanks, Cheryl

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 3:41 PM
  • Cheryl,

In the method provided, Tasks Tracking view is just used as an example view. You could do this with any "Schedule" level view that you have access to. It does not have to be tasks Tracking view.

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT TWitter: @prasannaadavi Blog: http://www.prasannaadavi.com

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 3:55 PM
  • Prasanna,

The Approval Center > Preview Updates is stated (above) to be using the Tasks Tracking view.  Which is why I was examining that view.  So we can get the Baseline Finish field in the Preview Updates data.

Maybe the issue is that the view drop down within Preview Updates does not display a list of views. 

When you have updates selected in Approval Center and select Preview Updates, then invoke the View drop down, do you see a list of views?

Cheryl

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 5:20 PM
  • Yes, the views that appear in that screen are the same views that you have access to when you open the schedule PDP from project center.

It could be that you do not have access to other views? 

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT TWitter: @prasannaadavi Blog: http://www.prasannaadavi.com

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 6:00 PM
  • Thank you Prasanna,

Within Server Settings > Manage Views, I am able to see the view configurations (and can modify) used in Project Center, Resource Center, My Tasks, etc...  However after inspecting all of the view configurations yesterday there is no view that matches up to the view that is used in Approval Center > Preview Updates.

In the earlier posts the Tasks Tracking view was called out to be the one used in Preview Updates.  However that is not being used in our case.

In Preview Updates the following columns are displayed:

• ID
    • Mode
    • Task Name
    • Previous Duration
    • Duration
    • Previous Start
    • Start
    • Previous Finish
    • Finish
    • Baseline Work
    • Work
    • Previous % Complete
    • % Complete
    • Resource Name

The Tasks Tracking view already includes Baseline Start/Baseline Finish (and other differences) ... so not the view being used.

Updating Tasks Tracking view does not appear to be the method to access/update the view that is related to Approval Center > Preview Updates. 

Cheryl

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 12:19 PM
  • Cheryl,

I honestly do not remember what the "Default" view in Approval Center >> Preview Updates used to be, since I have since changed it to suit my needs. :)

When you go to "Preview Updates", you should be able to select any other "Project" type view, as long as they are added to the Security Categories that you are part of.

When you go to Project Center, Open the Schedule, what views do you see there?

BTW, I suggest you start a new thread on this, as the previous one is already marked as answered, and does not come up in everybody's list. Starting a new thread, will give you more visibility. 

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 12:30 PM
  • Hi Cheryl,

As far as I tested it in Project Online (but the behavior should be quite the same), the preview updates page proposes all task views of the project schedule page, meaning that the assignments and resources views are not included.

Just decide which view you want to include baseline start and finish date into, update the corresponding view from "manage views" and save it. Then go back in the approval center/preview updates, select the appropriated view and it should be how expected.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 1:01 PM