Accessing user folders from 'Shared Folders on Server' RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to all of this WHS stuff but here it goes.

I've the server set-up with three user accounts and three networked PC's.  I'm unable to access any of the user folders from my PC eg \\Server\Users\user-name  I get an access denied error.

The computer I'm accessing from is the same user-name.  In WHS, this user has full access but I cannot access any other users either.  I can access all the shared folders though.

Shouldn't I be able to access any user folder if the PC I'm using is the same user name that has full access rights?
    Friday, March 13, 2009 4:43 AM

Answers

• Please have a look at my post in the thread Access and password problems
    Friday, March 13, 2009 4:55 AM
  • Rather than using the methods in the post Brubber points to, this will get you to the same place without having to explicitly run the key manager DLL directly:
    • Start/Run (on Vista: Start, then type in the search box, which does double duty)
    • Type control userpasswords2, which runs the user account management control panel applet (there are other ways to get to it, but this is really easiest)
    • Click the Advanced tab
    • Click Manage Passwords.
    • Delete your server from the list.
    • Confirm your way back out.
    • Log off and back on to the computer.
    You should also take a look at this FAQ posting, which will take you through the same user account control panel applet. Often you will have a mismatch between the user name on Windows Home Server, and the actual login name on the client PC.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, March 13, 2009 3:54 PM

All replies

• Please have a look at my post in the thread Access and password problems
    Friday, March 13, 2009 4:55 AM
  • Rather than using the methods in the post Brubber points to, this will get you to the same place without having to explicitly run the key manager DLL directly:
    • Start/Run (on Vista: Start, then type in the search box, which does double duty)
    • Type control userpasswords2, which runs the user account management control panel applet (there are other ways to get to it, but this is really easiest)
    • Click the Advanced tab
    • Click Manage Passwords.
    • Delete your server from the list.
    • Confirm your way back out.
    • Log off and back on to the computer.
    You should also take a look at this FAQ posting, which will take you through the same user account control panel applet. Often you will have a mismatch between the user name on Windows Home Server, and the actual login name on the client PC.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, March 13, 2009 3:54 PM