I bought a new license code from Microsoft, but Windows Validation STILL DOES NOT WORK. RRS feed

• Question

• I made the mistake of unwittingly purchasing a spare copy of XP Pro from someone who had a Volume License Key (VLK).  When they let their Volume License expire it made all of their copies invalid (including mine).

I was still able to get critical updates and all but my copy of XP Pro was still considered an unlicensed copy from that point on.  At some point one of Microsoft's updates included the "Genuine Windows Validation" thing.  (The one that looks like a blue star in my Toolbar.)  It has NEVER worked right.  It pops up a notice periodically telling me that it was unable to complete genuine Windows validation.  It gives me this code:  0x80080101

I went to the knowledge base and ran the suggested fix where you re-register about a dozen different dll files.  All the files re-registered properly but THAT DID NOTHING.  I have this stupid pop-up telling me that it can not complete genuine Windows validation.  It does it all the time.  When I am gaming, when I am online shopping, when I am doing anything.  I hate it!  It has an option to "turn off" the notifications.  Guess what?  THAT DOES NOTHING.

I finally had enough.  As soon as i could afford it, I paid Microsoft $149 for a new license code.  Even though the offer to buy a code will not pop up through the genuine validation thing (mine can't "complete", remember?) I was able to get the offer to pop up by trying to install Internet Explorer 7 off the Microsoft Update web page.

I bought my new license code.  I ran the "code change" tool.  My copy of Windows XP Professional is finally legal!  Yay!  I got all the latest updates.  I have the latest versions of Internet Explorer and Media Player.  I am happy, right?  WRONG!

The STUPID validation thing STILL pops-up and tells me it can't complete genuine Windows validation!  ARRRRRGH!  I HATE IT!  I can't delete it!  I can't run the stand-alone version of Windows validation!  I can't turn off the pop-ups!  The proposed fix does NOTHING!

I have paid my money.  I have a legal copy.  How can I fix this?  I am getting very upset with this problem.  I ran the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool and got this result:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Cryptographic Errors Detected
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-KCT34-HWCQC-3R648
    Windows Product Key Hash: Pr7Zws9u9KWYwsVao0MgB9icaEM=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-084-9060956-22335
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: f734af93-4386-45e0-8021-8ee85741e5ca
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 9.4.265.0
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80096010
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 5
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-469-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>f734af93-4386-45e0-8021-8ee85741e5ca</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-3R648</PKey><PID>55274-084-9060956-22335</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1708537768-484061587-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>To Be Filled By O.E.M.</Manufacturer><Model>To Be Filled By O.E.M.</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>080011 </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20041010000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>351F31170184337F</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?  HELP PLEASE!

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 9:45 PM

Answers

• Mr. Bang,

Your Windows is Genuine. The problem is with Cryptographic service on your computer. The Cryptographic service is a standard service that runs under Windows XP and is used by Windows Genuine Advantage to read the Digital Signatures of files on your computer. If the Cryptographic have errors (as seen in your Diagnostic Report "Validation Status: Cryptographic Errors Detected") WGA can not Validate your Genuine status.

There is a very easy fix for this. Go to http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/ and click the “Start Diagnostic" button. If the tool finds any issues, click the "Resolve Now" button. The tool will, most likely, resolve the issue on it's own or will provide you further instructions.

Stephen Holm, MS

OGA and WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 9:59 PM
  • Sorry.  I followed that link and it took me to the Diagnostic site.  I ran the diagnostic and everything passed except for the Cryptography check (as expected).  I clicked the "Resolve Now" button and it was unable to resolve itself.  It gave code:  0x80096010 and a link for "More Information" so I followed the link.

Guess what?  The link took me to the same document that says "These issues MAY (emphasis added) indicate that a component of Windows XP that processes digital signatures is damaged." and then says to re-register all those dll files.  Just to be safe I did that again.  Every file successfully re-registered but (as before) that DID NOT solve the problem.

This tells me that those files either are not at fault or they are not at fault in the way Microsoft thinks they are at fault.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Any more ideas?

Thursday, May 17, 2007 3:24 AM
  • Mr. Bang,

Please reference the following KB article:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798/en-us. Please post back with outcome. There may be a possibility files are damaged on your system and would require reformatting. First we will try other measures prior going thru reformatting.

Stephen Holm, MS

OGA & WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, May 17, 2007 7:31 PM
  • I went to that Knowledge Base article and it gave 11 possible solutions to my problem.  I will come back and update as I try them because if I wait and try to respond all at once I will surely forget something.

Method 1: Rename the Edb.log file - This did not help.

Method 2: Set Cryptographic Services to automatic - This was already done, so doing it again did not help.

Method 3: Rename the Catroot2 folder - THIS SOLUTION IS FAULTY.  It gives you 5 lines to enter individually at the command prompt.  When you enter the second line it tells you "The syntax of the command is incorrect."  Needless to say I never made it down to the part where it says to "Remove all tmp*.cat files from the following folder" (and doesn't tell you where that folder can be found or the proper way to delete said files).  I suppose finding that folder and deleting ONLY the correct files may not be an issue to someone who is very skilled with the command prompt, but seeing as how the directions given a couple of steps before are WRONG it makes little difference where that folder (or any temporary files contained therein) is located.  Obviously this did not help.

Method 4: Reregister DLL files that are associated with Cryptographic Services - This is the frequently offered "re-register 10 different dll files" solution.  The only difference here is that it has you go through and un-register them first and reboot before re-registering them and rebooting again.  This probably the 5th time I have done this now, and like the first 4 times I did it this did not help.

Method 5: Remove the hidden attribute from %Windir% and from its subfolders - This did not help.

Method 6: Set non-driver signing policy to silently succeed - When I went to where it said to go the necessary value was already set at 00 (which is what I was supposed to change it to).  Just to make sure I changed it from 00 to 00.  (Silly, yes?)  Needless to say, this did not help.

Method 7: Temporarily turn off Trusted Publishers Lockdown and install the appropriate certificates to your trusted publishers certificate store - This method has you manually install certificates yourself.  Since I am not 100% sure which certificates need to be installed I DID NOT TRY THIS.  (I suspect you need the ones from KB905474 (the stand alone validation tool).  I WOULD HAVE TRIED THIS, BUT UNFORTUNATELY I HAD ALREADY TRIED METHOD 11 WHICH WAS A COMPLETE DISASTER.  (See below.)

Method 8: Verify the status of all certificates in the certification path and import missing or damaged certificates from another computer - All the necessary certificates were where they were supposed to be with all the correct dates and status messages.  Everything was correct so there was nothing to install or re-install.  This did not help.

Method 9: Clear the temporary file and restart the hotfix installation or the service pack installation - THIS SOLUTION IS FAULTY.  This is basically the same method as Method 3 above.   And just like above, when you enter the second line you get the warning "The syntax of the command is incorrect."  So just like Method 3 above this did not help.

Method 10: Empty the software distribution folder - I emptied the folder as instructed and re-ran Windows Update as instructed.  This did not help.

Method 11: Perform an in-place upgrade - ARRRRRGGGGH!  This method has you run a repair on Windows XP.  I have run repairs before.  I know how they work, and this seems like a good way to repair corrupted files or replace missing files.  Even though by now I am about 98% sure my files are fine since every earlier repair attempt has done nothing and all of my settings and configurations were already set where they were supposed to be.  But I figured this would be as good an attempt as any so I went ahead.  WHAT A MISTAKE!  Once the repair was done it asked my to enter my license code.  Guess what?  It would not accept the new code I just paid Microsoft $149 for!  That doesn't surprise me, since I figured that was a special code only used by the "code switch" tool.  So I had to insert my old (bad) code to proceed.  Once I was into Windows I tried to run the "code switch" tool to make my copy of Windows legal again.  Guess what?  IT SAID MY NEW CODE WAS ALREADY IN USE AND I COULDN'T USE IT!  YEAH, IT IS USE!  BY ME!  Not only that, but now my installation of windows is messed up.  If I try to get any of the critical updates Internet Explorer quits working.  It hangs and tries to open extra windows up (which also hang).  If I close them and try to send an error report to Microsoft I get a response that IT IS MY FAULT for closing Explorer down prematurely!  PREMATURELY?!?  The stupid thing is in self-replicating perma-hang!  You can kiss mine!

The only reason I am online now is that I "repaired" my installation again and I am running without any updates.  Nice.

So now I have gone from an illegal copy of Windows XP to a legal copy back to an illegal copy in 4 days!  And a quick phone call to MS Support told me that there is nothing that can be done until I get my actual software kit in the mail.  Great.  Now I am running a vulnerable copy of XP and nobody can do anything about it.

Why can't they just fix the stupid validation tool?

Thursday, May 17, 2007 11:51 PM
  • Now that I have tried 10 out of 11 methods of repairing "my" problem and it has dang near killed my machine I guess I will have no choice but to reformat and reinstall a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro when my new software arrives.  Unless of course anybody else has any more ideas....

Thanks everybody.

Sunday, May 20, 2007 8:22 PM
  • MrBang:

The version of LegitCheckControl.dll you have on your computer is actually not a Microsoft released version.

Where did you get this version from?

To resolve this issue, you must go to c:\windows\system32 and DELETE legitcheckcontrol.dll.

Afterwards, you need to go to your command prompt, and go to the c:\windows\system32 directory and run the command "regsvr32 legitcheckcontrol.dll /u"

Afterwards, go to www.microsoft.com/genuine/ and press Validate Windows.

If these steps do not work, i woulld suggest following the steps outlined at the top of the forum for submitting a service request so we can investigate the malicious file on your PC remotely.

Thanks!

-phil

Monday, May 21, 2007 6:39 PM
  • I went to c:\windows\system32 and deleted legitcheckcontrol.dll

Then I went to the command prompt and typed regsvr32 legitcheckcontrol.dll /u

It popped up a message saying:  LoadLibrary("legitcheckcontrol.dll") failed - The specified module could not be found.

What does that mean?

Monday, May 21, 2007 8:31 PM
  • MrBang:

Could you try installing the latest WGA Notifications? This should help correct the issue (now that you've removed the troublesome file).

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=69498

Also - where did you get your previous version of LegitCheckControl.dll?

-phil

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 12:33 AM
  • pl. help me how i activate my windows xp
    Tuesday, May 22, 2007 9:06 AM

All replies

• Mr. Bang,

Your Windows is Genuine. The problem is with Cryptographic service on your computer. The Cryptographic service is a standard service that runs under Windows XP and is used by Windows Genuine Advantage to read the Digital Signatures of files on your computer. If the Cryptographic have errors (as seen in your Diagnostic Report "Validation Status: Cryptographic Errors Detected") WGA can not Validate your Genuine status.

There is a very easy fix for this. Go to http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/ and click the “Start Diagnostic" button. If the tool finds any issues, click the "Resolve Now" button. The tool will, most likely, resolve the issue on it's own or will provide you further instructions.

Stephen Holm, MS

OGA and WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 9:59 PM
  • Sorry.  I followed that link and it took me to the Diagnostic site.  I ran the diagnostic and everything passed except for the Cryptography check (as expected).  I clicked the "Resolve Now" button and it was unable to resolve itself.  It gave code:  0x80096010 and a link for "More Information" so I followed the link.

Guess what?  The link took me to the same document that says "These issues MAY (emphasis added) indicate that a component of Windows XP that processes digital signatures is damaged." and then says to re-register all those dll files.  Just to be safe I did that again.  Every file successfully re-registered but (as before) that DID NOT solve the problem.

This tells me that those files either are not at fault or they are not at fault in the way Microsoft thinks they are at fault.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Any more ideas?

Thursday, May 17, 2007 3:24 AM
  • Mr. Bang,

Please reference the following KB article:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798/en-us. Please post back with outcome. There may be a possibility files are damaged on your system and would require reformatting. First we will try other measures prior going thru reformatting.

Stephen Holm, MS

OGA & WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, May 17, 2007 7:31 PM
  • I went to that Knowledge Base article and it gave 11 possible solutions to my problem.  I will come back and update as I try them because if I wait and try to respond all at once I will surely forget something.

Method 1: Rename the Edb.log file - This did not help.

Method 2: Set Cryptographic Services to automatic - This was already done, so doing it again did not help.

Method 3: Rename the Catroot2 folder - THIS SOLUTION IS FAULTY.  It gives you 5 lines to enter individually at the command prompt.  When you enter the second line it tells you "The syntax of the command is incorrect."  Needless to say I never made it down to the part where it says to "Remove all tmp*.cat files from the following folder" (and doesn't tell you where that folder can be found or the proper way to delete said files).  I suppose finding that folder and deleting ONLY the correct files may not be an issue to someone who is very skilled with the command prompt, but seeing as how the directions given a couple of steps before are WRONG it makes little difference where that folder (or any temporary files contained therein) is located.  Obviously this did not help.

Method 4: Reregister DLL files that are associated with Cryptographic Services - This is the frequently offered "re-register 10 different dll files" solution.  The only difference here is that it has you go through and un-register them first and reboot before re-registering them and rebooting again.  This probably the 5th time I have done this now, and like the first 4 times I did it this did not help.

Method 5: Remove the hidden attribute from %Windir% and from its subfolders - This did not help.

Method 6: Set non-driver signing policy to silently succeed - When I went to where it said to go the necessary value was already set at 00 (which is what I was supposed to change it to).  Just to make sure I changed it from 00 to 00.  (Silly, yes?)  Needless to say, this did not help.

Method 7: Temporarily turn off Trusted Publishers Lockdown and install the appropriate certificates to your trusted publishers certificate store - This method has you manually install certificates yourself.  Since I am not 100% sure which certificates need to be installed I DID NOT TRY THIS.  (I suspect you need the ones from KB905474 (the stand alone validation tool).  I WOULD HAVE TRIED THIS, BUT UNFORTUNATELY I HAD ALREADY TRIED METHOD 11 WHICH WAS A COMPLETE DISASTER.  (See below.)

Method 8: Verify the status of all certificates in the certification path and import missing or damaged certificates from another computer - All the necessary certificates were where they were supposed to be with all the correct dates and status messages.  Everything was correct so there was nothing to install or re-install.  This did not help.

Method 9: Clear the temporary file and restart the hotfix installation or the service pack installation - THIS SOLUTION IS FAULTY.  This is basically the same method as Method 3 above.   And just like above, when you enter the second line you get the warning "The syntax of the command is incorrect."  So just like Method 3 above this did not help.

Method 10: Empty the software distribution folder - I emptied the folder as instructed and re-ran Windows Update as instructed.  This did not help.

Method 11: Perform an in-place upgrade - ARRRRRGGGGH!  This method has you run a repair on Windows XP.  I have run repairs before.  I know how they work, and this seems like a good way to repair corrupted files or replace missing files.  Even though by now I am about 98% sure my files are fine since every earlier repair attempt has done nothing and all of my settings and configurations were already set where they were supposed to be.  But I figured this would be as good an attempt as any so I went ahead.  WHAT A MISTAKE!  Once the repair was done it asked my to enter my license code.  Guess what?  It would not accept the new code I just paid Microsoft $149 for!  That doesn't surprise me, since I figured that was a special code only used by the "code switch" tool.  So I had to insert my old (bad) code to proceed.  Once I was into Windows I tried to run the "code switch" tool to make my copy of Windows legal again.  Guess what?  IT SAID MY NEW CODE WAS ALREADY IN USE AND I COULDN'T USE IT!  YEAH, IT IS USE!  BY ME!  Not only that, but now my installation of windows is messed up.  If I try to get any of the critical updates Internet Explorer quits working.  It hangs and tries to open extra windows up (which also hang).  If I close them and try to send an error report to Microsoft I get a response that IT IS MY FAULT for closing Explorer down prematurely!  PREMATURELY?!?  The stupid thing is in self-replicating perma-hang!  You can kiss mine!

The only reason I am online now is that I "repaired" my installation again and I am running without any updates.  Nice.

So now I have gone from an illegal copy of Windows XP to a legal copy back to an illegal copy in 4 days!  And a quick phone call to MS Support told me that there is nothing that can be done until I get my actual software kit in the mail.  Great.  Now I am running a vulnerable copy of XP and nobody can do anything about it.

Why can't they just fix the stupid validation tool?

Thursday, May 17, 2007 11:51 PM
  • Now that I have tried 10 out of 11 methods of repairing "my" problem and it has dang near killed my machine I guess I will have no choice but to reformat and reinstall a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro when my new software arrives.  Unless of course anybody else has any more ideas....

Thanks everybody.

Sunday, May 20, 2007 8:22 PM
  • MrBang:

The version of LegitCheckControl.dll you have on your computer is actually not a Microsoft released version.

Where did you get this version from?

To resolve this issue, you must go to c:\windows\system32 and DELETE legitcheckcontrol.dll.

Afterwards, you need to go to your command prompt, and go to the c:\windows\system32 directory and run the command "regsvr32 legitcheckcontrol.dll /u"

Afterwards, go to www.microsoft.com/genuine/ and press Validate Windows.

If these steps do not work, i woulld suggest following the steps outlined at the top of the forum for submitting a service request so we can investigate the malicious file on your PC remotely.

Thanks!

-phil

Monday, May 21, 2007 6:39 PM
  • I went to c:\windows\system32 and deleted legitcheckcontrol.dll

Then I went to the command prompt and typed regsvr32 legitcheckcontrol.dll /u

It popped up a message saying:  LoadLibrary("legitcheckcontrol.dll") failed - The specified module could not be found.

What does that mean?

Monday, May 21, 2007 8:31 PM
  • MrBang:

Could you try installing the latest WGA Notifications? This should help correct the issue (now that you've removed the troublesome file).

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=69498

Also - where did you get your previous version of LegitCheckControl.dll?

-phil

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 12:33 AM
  • pl. help me how i activate my windows xp
    Tuesday, May 22, 2007 9:06 AM