Remote access problem RRS feed

• Question

• G'day, I'm new to the server business & have managed to get everything except remote access working. When I go to settings, Remote access it says the Router is configured but not verified. When I refresh I get the following 2 messages
    !verifying that your router is accepting Web site connections
    !verifying that your router is accepting Remote Access connections
    uPnp is on, the ports are open (in the firewall). My ISP does not block any ports. I have no idea what to try next. Can anyone help, please. thanks, gwandad
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 2:14 AM

Answers

• I can get a connection from a friend's pc, so I guess it all works. Thanks for all the assistance
    Friday, January 2, 2009 4:32 AM

All replies

• gwandad said:

G'day, I'm new to the server business & have managed to get everything except remote access working. When I go to settings, Remote access it says the Router is configured but not verified. When I refresh I get the following 2 messages
    !verifying that your router is accepting Web site connections
    !verifying that your router is accepting Remote Access connections
    uPnp is on, the ports are open (in the firewall). My ISP does not block any ports. I have no idea what to try next. Can anyone help, please. thanks, gwandad

Did you configure the router yourself (or did you let WHS do it for you)?  Also, you could try going to Shields Up! and running a custom port scan on ports 80, 443, and 4125 and please post the results here (just to make sure your ISP isn't blocking the ports).
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 5:09 AM
  • G'day, I ran Shields Up (didn't know of it before) with following results
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------- GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2009-01-01 at 05:42:54 Results from scan of ports: 0-1055 2 Ports Open 0 Ports Closed 1054 Ports Stealth --------------------- 
    1056 Ports Tested NO PORTS were found to be CLOSED. Ports found to be OPEN were: 80, 443
    Other than what is listed above, all ports are STEALTH. TruStealth: FAILED
    - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH, - NO unsolicited packets were received, - NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tried to run against 4125. It says it's closed & says
    Unknown Protocol for this port
    Unknown Application for this port
    I went into the modem & enabled uPnp, with no change. I can't find anywhere in the modem setup to allow specific ports (Zyxel 2602HWL-61.
    It would seem that 4125 is the problem, but the ISP claims no ports are blocked. Any ideas, please?
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 5:56 AM
  • Hi,
    If 80 & 443 are shown as open, it would indicate that your ISP isn't blocking remote access, as these are the http and https respectively.
    If you cannot get a remote connection - from outside your own network - then that would then indicate that these ports aren't being forwarded to your server correctly. If you haven't done so already, then Port Forward is a worthwhile site, which shows how to perform the port forwarding actions for the majority of routers available.

The port 4125 is the remote desktop proxy port, so will not restrict web access to your server, just your remote control of it.

In the majority of servers I set up, I never bother with port 80 being forwarded, I just leave the secure port enabled, but your use could well be different.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 11:30 AM
  • I can get a connection from a friend's pc, so I guess it all works. Thanks for all the assistance
    Friday, January 2, 2009 4:32 AM