One Care Cleanup Tool RRS feed

• Question

• I've downloaded this tool but when I try to run it on a Vista system is pops up a dialog box saying thet the user needs to be an administrator - the computer only has one user, and she is an administrator, I am logged on as that user.

I thought Norton was hard to get rid of, it seems that Onecare is even harder. 

The history is that the manufacturer put Norton onto a new notebook, system performance was awful, retailer replaced it with a trial version of Onecare (but did not fully get rid of Norton), but trying to upgrade the Onecare trial license into a real license became all too hard. so it was uninstalled.  Now the new AVG suite thinks there is another Virus scanner installed - the Security centre say's that no virus scanner is installed and suggests that the OneCare virus scanner be turned on - but it's not there of course.

How can I get this removal tool to execute

TIA PhilD
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 6:32 AM

Answers

• Asking the question often puts the brain into gear - ran in Safe Mode, worked like a treat, AVG is now recognised by Vista Security Centre as providing Virus protection - excellent

Why do these things need these bloody clean up tools, why not do what ever they dod in the uninstall

Anyways, I is happy
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 6:58 AM
  • Save the tool to your desktop and then right click it and select Run as Administrator.

-steve

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 12:02 PM

All replies

• Asking the question often puts the brain into gear - ran in Safe Mode, worked like a treat, AVG is now recognised by Vista Security Centre as providing Virus protection - excellent

Why do these things need these bloody clean up tools, why not do what ever they dod in the uninstall

Anyways, I is happy
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 6:58 AM
  • Save the tool to your desktop and then right click it and select Run as Administrator.

-steve

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 12:02 PM
  • Thanks Steve - must tell Vista owner about that, I think she had the issue when installing Office 2007.
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 4:41 AM
  • Yes, Vista with UAC means that even as an Adminstrator, certain tasks require an elevated privilege to proceed.

I don't think that is an issue with Office installing, though. As long as the user is a Administrator, it should install without having to do anything special, although you may still need to accept the UAC prompt to indicate that you did indeed intend to install the program. It isn't a right click situation, though.

-steve

Thursday, May 22, 2008 12:16 PM
  • Then it probably wasn't in installing Office that the owner had a similar issue, although she did have problems installing Office. On that occasion she took the system (a Tosh R500 - great little notebook, 910g total weight!) into the retailer and they installed Office for her.

I use XP on which I run Comodo Firewall, Spybot, AdWatch and Defender each of which provides an "r u sure u wanna do this" service, the objective of which is similar to UAC.  However I would not want to have such things popping up for a non technical user - such as the owner of this system - a writer in her late '60s.

So I am minded to turn off UAC, I assume that's doable. I understand the purpose of UAC, but I'm not sure that the average end user appreciates being asked if they know what they are doing, at best it shakes their confidence at worst it induces computer rage.

What are your thought's about disabling UAC?

FYI - I've installed RemoteX on the system, so that I can do any tricky installs, upgrades, uninstalls etc.

Thanks your your feedback - most helpful.
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 9:58 PM
  • I find UAC to be very easy to deal with, even for the non-technical user. It does what it is supposed to do and that is to prevent actions from occurring that may cause changes to the system that the user did not intend.

There are some actions that cause UAC to pop up the question that do annoy me, but they are infrequent and easy to understand and respond to.

The only time it is a problem is when a utility such as the OneCare cleanup tool needs to be run with administrative privileges and UAC does not prompt, but the tool simply fails.

Personally, I recommend leaving UAC enabled on a Vista machine.

-steve

Friday, May 23, 2008 12:55 AM
  • I'll mull it over some more - I'll be taking the Tosh back to my friend next friday so I've got plenty of time.

Thanks for al  of your input, it's been very helpful , especially as I'd already solved my problem, albeit in a cumbersome fashion.

Perhaps I can help you out sometime.

I've taken my alert off this thread.

Rgds PhilD

Friday, May 23, 2008 8:40 AM