Who does this product key belong to? RRS feed

• Question

• The owner of a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop has asked me to conduct a format and reinstall of their OS.  Their laptop did not ship with any system disks.

The bottom of the laptop features the genuine license sticker reading Microsoft Windows XP Professional (DELL). Since I frequently do repairs, I happen to have numerous versions of Windows XP on hand.  None of them seem to take this key. error: "The Product Id you entered is not valid" occurs during setup.

My question is, how specific is the variety of XP Pro to which this key is attached (standard, SP1, SP2- tried all)?  Would Dell have a special breed to which this key is tied to?  Is their anywhere on the microsoft site where I can actually enter the key and have it tell me if the key is still valid and to which specific Microsoft product it belongs to.

Any details that would help me discover which version of Windows XP needs to be used with this key would be greatly appeciated.
    Saturday, September 29, 2007 2:29 PM

Answers

• A Dell Product Key for Microsoft Windows is only valid with a Dell Windows Reinstallation CD.  Contact Dell support and request a Dell Reinstallation CD if yours is missing.

Saturday, September 29, 2007 2:41 PM

All replies